GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR stage 1 installed, questions about stage 2...

Halvie

WOOSA
Alright, got stage 1 apr reflash and the stage 1 carbonio intake installed late last week. Weather has been pretty poor, so I haven't gotten a lot of time to drive the car very hard, but I am fairly happy with the results so far.

I took the car to a local shop to get dyno'd after getting the stuff installed. It was done on a dyno dynamics (this is a picture and information about the dyno I was on http://www.perfengine.com/dynoinfo.htm). On the 93 program the car did 229hp 265 tq, however I think something was up with the dyno cause the numbers seem kind of high (car in stock mode w/ intake did 210/210). Guy said cars he has tuned in the past usually dyno about 20-25hp more on a dynojet located in Milwaukee.

I am contemplating going stage 2 fairly soon (lot of overtime at work right now), but have a couple questions.

Does stage 2 still give you the option of going back into stock mode(multiple programs...91/93/stock..)?

When it comes time for emissions, or taking the car into the dealership can I take off the after market exhaust and put back on the stock one without them being the wiser(not sure if you have to cut the stock one off, or if you would have to cut the after market one off)?

Take it the life of the clutch will drop pretty sharply with all the extra power?

Also sort of worried seeing several posts saying they are dynoing at stage 1 or lower. Did they find out what was wrong with their setup?

thanks for the help

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Alright, got stage 1 apr reflash and the stage 1 carbonio intake installed late last week. Weather has been pretty poor, so I haven't gotten a lot of time to drive the car very hard, but I am fairly happy with the results so far.

I took the car to a local shop to get dyno'd after getting the stuff installed. It was done on a dyno dynamics (this is a picture and information about the dyno I was on http://www.perfengine.com/dynoinfo.htm). On the 93 program the car did 229hp 265 tq, however I think something was up with the dyno cause the numbers seem kind of high (car in stock mode w/ intake did 210/210). Guy said cars he has tuned in the past usually dyno about 20-25hp more on a dynojet located in Milwaukee.

I am contemplating going stage 2 fairly soon (lot of overtime at work right now), but have a couple questions.

Does stage 2 still give you the option of going back into stock mode(multiple programs...91/93/stock..)?

When it comes time for emissions, or taking the car into the dealership can I take off the after market exhaust and put back on the stock one without them being the wiser(not sure if you have to cut the stock one off, or if you would have to cut the after market one off)?

Take it the life of the clutch will drop pretty sharply with all the extra power?

Also sort of worried seeing several posts saying they are dynoing at stage 1 or lower. Did they find out what was wrong with their setup?

thanks for the help

Yes you can put it into stock mode.

You can switch the exhausts, but you gotta keep in in stock mode, because you can run into issues from the chip if you dont have the downpipe on.

Clutch life will drop but not sharply. I've seen people run stage 2 without even touching the clutch for the life of the vehicle. It all depends on how you take care of it.

The issue regarding the lower dyno numbers has been solved. Plus APR has great customer service and they'll do what they need to to help you out.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Regardless of the dyno, your gains of 19hp & 55tq over stock mode are spot on!

As for switching exhaust (downpipe specifically)....the only reason you'd want to do that is for emissions testing or something.
I wouldn't worry about the exhaust when going to the dealer for minor things like an oil change or anything not related to the engine/turbo.
Now if there were engine issues, then yeah you'd probably wanna take if off to save your warranty obviously.

I had Stage 1 put on my TSI MKV at 9k miles on my old car. Then I went Stage 2 at 18k miles....my clutch slipped right away on my TSI MKV after the upgrade.
That's why I went to a DSG on my MKVI....so I didn't have that issue anymore.

I didn't abuse/beat my car either, but 4th gear on the highway (especially), the revs would spin up and then it'd catch. It was really annoying

It was talked about for a while on the Vortex last year (TSI section specifically)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Do you think the apr stage 1 intake was worth spending $300?

It's on sale right now for $270 ;)

I have it & love it

There aren't many cheaper intakes available though anyways :iono:
And if they are cheaper, they're probably open filter ones (not enclosed like the Carbonio) that are really loud

arsenal_mk6

Ready to race!
It's on sale right now for $270 ;)

I have it & love it

There aren't many cheaper intakes available though anyways :iono:
And if they are cheaper, they're probably open filter ones (not enclosed like the Carbonio) that are really loud

So the reflash adds roughly 20hp/55tq, but do supporting mods like intake, DP, and exhaust add even more gains? I'm just curious to know if the engine management software adapts to mods you might have without affecting the fuel/air ratios unsafely. Forgive me for being ignorant! :p lol

Halvie

WOOSA
Regardless of the dyno, your gains of 19hp & 55tq over stock mode are spot on!

As for switching exhaust (downpipe specifically)....the only reason you'd want to do that is for emissions testing or something.
I wouldn't worry about the exhaust when going to the dealer for minor things like an oil change or anything not related to the engine/turbo.
Now if there were engine issues, then yeah you'd probably wanna take if off to save your warranty obviously.

I had Stage 1 put on my TSI MKV at 9k miles on my old car. Then I went Stage 2 at 18k miles....my clutch slipped right away on my TSI MKV after the upgrade.
That's why I went to a DSG on my MKVI....so I didn't have that issue anymore.

I didn't abuse/beat my car either, but 4th gear on the highway (especially), the revs would spin up and then it'd catch. It was really annoying

It was talked about for a while on the Vortex last year (TSI section specifically)

Just figured that if a dealer saw a full exhaust they would know the car is chipped.

Would getting the stage 1 clutch prevent the slippage you saw with stage 2?

Also making sure that if I got flashed to stage 2 the installer wouldn't have to yank out the ecu again right? Can be done through directport?

Last edited:

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
If you have apr stg 1, stg 2 is just an obdii reflash.