GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 DIY DTS coilover install

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
do you get any rattling from your rear springs? i see that you didnt put the black rubber bumper on the top

Aonarch

Ready to race!
Thanks for the write up man! I'm about to embark on this right now.

Damn I couldn't get the front strut assembly out. Car was on jack stands in my garage. Err pissed.

lewylou78

Ready to race!
I just finished installig Eibach Pro-Kit springs onto my 2011 GTI and have the following to add:

1. I have xenons and found no leveling sensors on either side in the front. I only had one in the rear on the drivers side.

2. I have nothing to add about the rear springs as they are very easy to change out, just follow the instructions above.

3. The hardest part about the front is removing the strut/sring assembly:

a. I found it easiest to raise both sides of the car (I used 2 jacks) and undoing (by removing the nut up top) the front swaybar links on BOTH sides.

b. I also removed the 3 nuts (fully, not partially) on both ball joint brackets. This will allow the control arm to fall so you have more room to push the entire assembly down with your leg. The axles will still hit the front sway bar, but one good push will pop the strut out.

c. Definately use a strut spreader bit, makes it that much easier (I didn't even have to use any WD40 either), just don't install the bit too far in as the bottom of the shock has a tab that sticks out.

d. Leave 1 of the 3 bolts at the top in when trying to remove the bottom of the stock out of the spindle. It would be good to have a helper here. Pushing the entire spindle assembly towards the front of the car will allow more leverage for the shock bottom to pop out. Once it pops out, just undo the remaining bolt at the top and remove the spring/strut assembly.

e. I used an impact gun to remove the nut on top. You don't really need a spring compressor to compress the stock spring. There really isn't that much compression that makes the nut or spring just out at you once the nut is fully off. You don't even need to compress the aftermarket spring, just reinstall as is and tighten down the nut.

f. When reinstalling the spring/strut assembly you will again need to give the spindle assembly a good push to pop the bottom of the strut back in. Tighten the spindle bolt/nut and reinstall the ball joint bracket back onto the control arm. Then tighten the 3 bolts at the top. Finally, tighten down the sway bar link nut.

I never did an MKV suspension where you have to remove the axle bolt, but I almost came close to doing it here because it was really difficult removing the spring/strut assembly from the car. Maybe the MK6 Golf is a little easier than a GTI since the front sway bar is much smaller in diameter. The sway bar on the GTI was the biggest obstable because it kept hitting the axle while I was pushing down on the spindle assembly. Nevertheless, it's done and I'm glad.

Bruh Man

Go Kart Champion
^^ Thanks for the additional tips.

Quick question-did any of you guys replace the strut mount bolts?

lewylou78

Ready to race!
^^ Thanks for the additional tips.

Quick question-did any of you guys replace the strut mount bolts?

I didn't replace the 3 strut mount bolts at the top, and I didn't really hear of anyone else that did. I only replaced the strut pinch bolt and nut in the front. I also heard you have to replace the 2 rear upper shock bolts (if you are removing the shocks). I kept my stock shocks.

Bruh Man

Go Kart Champion
Cool man, thanks. Like I said on Vortex I'm a paranoid dude so I just ended up ordering every nut and bolt haha.

UGMK6, I know the guys the OP ordered from aren't around anymore, but you can probably find DTS coils elsewhere.

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
i forgot where i saw it but someone mentioned that if you have Xenon's you have to watch out for some sort of relay or leveling wire or something alongside one of the struts? the poster mentioned he broke it while removing the stock struts and it was expensive to replace.

just wanted more clarification on that.

Bruh Man

Go Kart Champion
Yup, here's a pic from the MKV Koni DIY on Vortex:

"Remove the HID leveler arm (driver side). Make note of its orientation. Use a 10mm socket and needle nose pliers."

A post explaining it(we only have it on the rear on our cars, unless they changed it for the '11s): http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=49875&postcount=7

UGMK6<3

Ready to race!
Cool man, thanks. Like I said on Vortex I'm a paranoid dude so I just ended up ordering every nut and bolt haha.

UGMK6, I know the guys the OP ordered from aren't around anymore, but you can probably find DTS coils elsewhere.

yea bro, i tried digging in google and vortex but no bueno. if anyone could point a finger, itd be great!

Bruh Man

Go Kart Champion
Yeah DTS Tuning results in Google are all Euro sites, and the catalog is in German I think.

I can't remember how much the DTS were going for, but if I were in the market for affordable coilovers I'd probably go with ST Speedtech considering they're made by KW. Being in Cali the galvanized construction would probably suffice. Koni would be my next choice for a few hundred more.

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
sorry guys, so to clarify, the HID Leveler is on the REAR DRIVERS SIDE strut right? no where else? or is it both sides?

i'm too paranoid when it comes to this car. that's why i loved having my eclipse. it was old, and the parts were cheap, so i wasn't sweating anything when i was modding it. but i cringe everytime i slide a jack under this car! haha