GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

phant0m's 2011 GTI Build Thread

JC8588

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info bro. I already have all the parts needed to do it, but I've just been afraid of attempting it. With your info, I might just give it a shot!

Now, how did you fill the tranny back up, did you use an air compressor and fill it from the bottom up?

It's not hard at all. I was very worried to attempt it on my own because I didn't have VAG-COM to monitor the temps, but I didn't do it that way.

Buy the parts yourself (you can find kits online with the oil, filter, gaskets etc). You have to take out your intake, battery and battery tray to get to the DSG filter, but it's super easy to do.

Let your car cool off (i left mine over night). I started it, drove it up on ramps and shut it off immediately. Cracked the bolt and let it all drain out. I measured the amount of fluid that came out and filled it (from the top) with the exact amount of fluid drained, plus a splash more to account for what was soaked into the filter. (IIRC, it was like 4.5 quarts)

I spoke to a few people who have done it that way and haven't had any issues. If you're replacing exactly what you took out, you should be fine. There really isn't a need to monitor the temp in my opinion.

What takes the longest is filling back up the tranny. It takes a while to fill it back up with fluid. It's worth it though when you look at the amount of money you'll save over the dealer hah

phant0m

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info bro. I already have all the parts needed to do it, but I've just been afraid of attempting it. With your info, I might just give it a shot!

Now, how did you fill the tranny back up, did you use an air compressor and fill it from the bottom up?

Def do it! I filled it from the top, where the filter goes. I had a funnel and piece of piping that fit into the hole (hard to explain, you'll understand when you take the filter off).

See this pic: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=rlmhk6&s=8#.VUDsm9JVhBc

That's how I did it. It takes a while to have it drain in, because you're sort of creating a vacuum, but to me it was easier than trying to do the other methods.

phant0m

Ready to race!
I haz teh subframe clunk :(

I had my front sway bar installed, and gave the shop a new set of bolts from ECS tuning to replace after they dropped the subframe. It was fine for about a week, then the clunk started happening. Went back and had them retorque the bolts and it was fine. A week later and it's clunking again :(

I just bought Tyrolsport's Deadset Subframe Kit--luckily there was a GB happening right now :thumbup:

Hopefully i can get this taken care of soon!!