GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any recent GTI owners wishing they waited for the MK7 US release?

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Sorry, but trying to take lessons from the Jetta and apply them to the GTI is a faulty comparison. VW decided to deliberately "de-content" the Jetta for the American market to bring it in at a significantly lower price point than was previously the case. And from VW's point of view it was a major success in that regard. Highest sales in history for the Jetta.

There is no evidence that VW plans the same strategy with the GTI. But if they do, the reduced quality of the car will have nothing to do with it being manufactured in Mexico. It will be the result of a decision to reduce the price of the car.

this is going to happen with the US Bound GTI is already been mentioned in the car rags. We won't be getting the 8" navi screen and some other cool items like the adjustable suspension and such.

As for the Mex vs Germany debate. Let me answer that with a question. Would you rather own a car built in Germany or a car built in Mexico?

Me??? Germany. Why? It's a German car!!! It losses its German soul being born in Mexico!!! Ha ha

Jeff

p4kk0

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a Golf III from Mexico and it was a Rattle box. I had an MKIII Rabbit from Germany 0 rattles but came with a Transmission leak straight from Wolsfburg. MKVI GTI few rattles.... I don't really think it matters were is built you will get some "minor" issues.
Now I'm sure VW learned the lesson with previoues Mexican MKIIIs and IVs.

I also think we might have more features at lower price since building and transportation costs from Mexico will be lower.... well at least IMHO

McQueen77

Banned
my wolfsburg gti rattled like a shitbox when i bought it

pizzakid13

Passed Driver's Ed
Were there any significant changes between the '13 and '14 models? I have 2010 and wouldn't mind selling and getting a new one.

I am shocked the next GTI will be made in Mexico.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
When I saw pictures of the new MK7, I thought "boy...those stock lights look great!". And that was the end of it.

I love my '10 GTI more and more every time I drive it, especially after I add a little bit more of my own touch to the car. No regrets or envy on my end.

pretty much this, invest some time and money into making your Mk6 better and you really could care less about the Mk7. Plus it will cost a fortune compared to what you probably paid on the Mk6 assuming you played ball and got a good deal. If the next GTI actually had stock hp/tq ratings to rival it's competitors along with all the new high tech wizardry then I would be more excited. I also think they are making the GTI too big this next go around.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
The whole Mexican build issue doesn't excite me much either honestly but if it were built here I don't know if I'd feel any better about it.

VentoGT

Ready to race!
I am amazed at the amount of discussion...The new cars are not here yet, nobody really knows how the differences are going to manifest themselves.

This. Why all the opinions on the MK7 and what it "feels like" when nobody has actually touched or driven it?!?! I agree on some of the looks comments as the nose looks like a sedan/station wagon with a red ugly ass stripe, but everything else is just guesswork.

Edit: those of you who have driven them in Europe are not part of this argument ;)

Last edited:

Jordan Liberty

It all depends on the driver really. I like the styling of the MK7, but the MK6 still looks better in my eyes. The increased specs under the hood of the 7 can be matched or surpassed with mods on the 6. And I am one of those drivers who would rather see my car made in Germany, not Mexico, so there's that.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
It all depends on the driver really. I like the styling of the MK7, but the MK6 still looks better in my eyes. The increased specs under the hood of the 7 can be matched or surpassed with mods on the 6. And I am one of those drivers who would rather see my car made in Germany, not Mexico, so there's that.

Intenz888

Ready to race!
Soooo True..

Look at all the issues the 2010 GTIs have compared to the 2013s…. I would never get the first gen of a new car. Too many issues that may come up that will eventually get fixed a couple years later. Plus at that point there should be a lot more modding options.

I had Diverter Valve replaced, Intake Manifold, Mechatronics, Gearbox, and other little refinements. If I didn't have my powertrain warranty I would have been assed out. I'm not sure if buying or having it made German makes any difference, my car is a pure example of not to buy in the first year. I also had a 2012 lease prior and that car drove so much better than this one that I purchased. I just don't know if I can wait one or two years after 2015!!

TitanFlyer

Passed Driver's Ed
I totally agree.. I have bought two "first year" vehicles in my life, and both were riddled with problems.

pizzakid13

Passed Driver's Ed
never knew that about the '10s. i've had mine for over 3 years and its been fine. got lucky i guess.

im looking at current inventory around my way and not seeing any 4 door convenience pkg. all i see are the wolfsburg and drivers edition. how the hell did the wolfsburg get up to 30k? thats the entry level model correct? i paid less than 25k for my 4 door convenience.

BeinLOUD

I went to the dealership originally thinking the mk7 would be out late 2013 like most of the cars then the dealer shutting me down saying they are moving them to be built in mexico instead of Wolfsburg Germany and will not be in America until 2015. Total buzzkill. But hey who would want the differential or the extra horsepower. or the nice panoramic roof for the summers. but the mk6 has some nice thing I like better too. My autobahn headlight with the drl look more aggressive I think the the mk7s. plus my car has the serron wheels which I like a lot more the the stock mk7. and im not to keen on the red stripe running through the headlights. It really come down to peoples preference. To each is own

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Do we know for a fact that we won't get a model with the extra performance? Just because it's being produced in a different factory doesn't mean that parts can't be added to it.