GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI in -6 °F this morning

deeb

Passed Driver's Ed
i wish i can enjoy a ride in a cool winter breeze or somewhat sub 0 temperature. It's what we call winter here in Bangkok and it's 20 C in the middle of the night. In a couple of months we are heading for the summer time and it will be in the 40s again. I ain't looking forward to those time. I can feel my ride is exhausting.

regarding the topic.. well do warm your ride up nice and hot before you giving it a blast.. we still do it out here despite how damn hot the weather is.

mikeydubs

Ready to race!
Forgot to mention. You do have to warn the car. The people that don't think so are not cold weathet drivers. 20 mins. Is the norm for finally getting the wind screen to de ice. It's not about letting the fluids in the machine, it's about getting the ice off.
Ever hear of an ice scraper?

Marvin

Ready to race!

mikeydubs

Ready to race!
Yes and have you ever seen a badly scratched windscreen (or windshield)?
Can't say I've ever had a problem using a plastic scraper. Are you using a knife or something?

*Edit* The only reason I could think of it scratching is if there is dirt on the windshield. However, I always spray it before I finally park so it's mostly clean in the areas I need to see out of.

Marvin

Ready to race!
I generally use a diamond glass cutting tool!
Being retired and not having to go to work early in the morning I tend not to do any scraping of the windscreen, if humanly possible.
Frankly if I were back in those times I suppose I'd have to resort to a plastic scraper again but glass today seems softer than it used to be and windscreens are so much more difficult to replace as they have to be cut out and new ones re-cemented into place all with the risk of damaging the trim of one's precious cars.

krische

vdubber in training
I've never had any scratches on glass from a plastic ice scraper. I think the plastic is way too soft to actually scratch glass. Now the clear coat is a different story.

Apparently brass ice scrapers are the best. Brass is strong enough that it won't crack like the plastic ice scraper, but is soft enough to still not scratch the glass.

zecpull1

Ready to race!
It was -9f here in Ohio yesterday.. and I let it warm up long enough that I could drive with a little warm air blowing on the windshield so I could see.. but the Pedals and shifter were fine. My 2008 Rabbit was fin at -16f and I have a pic of the dash to prove that, they are great in the cold... and so far with my Pirelli Snows it is amazing in the snow.