GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which used replacement door mirror?

Bolder Driver

I just clipped my right (passenger-side) door mirror of my 2012 Mk6 GTI on the garage door post while backing out a few days ago. Unfortunately, that minor encounter was enough to break a number of the separate parts that form the complete mirror assembly. My local VW dealership quotes $870 for repair, which includes painting a replacement cover/cap to match the car (United Gray Metallic). I find this cost absurdly outrageous (with parts prices above MSRP!), so I am now looking at buying a used right door mirror. The question is which is the correct mirror for a 2012 Mk6 4-door GTI, with power adjustment and heated glass but only manual folding (opt 6XN)? Most (all?) of the used mirrors I see on Ebay for the 2010 - 2014 GTI are described as "power folding" (opt 6XT). Also, most listings quote the usual warning to check for compatibility, sometimes by examining the electrical connector plug/color/wire count in the door. However, I am reluctant to disassemble the passenger door trim to do this, only to have to do it again when the part arrives for fitment. If I have to do the preliminary disassembly I will but I am hoping that someone here can provide guidance on based on their experience. Some used mirrors for sale have the part # 5KO 857 502CE but I don't know if this refers to the whole mirror assembly or just a part or whether to the power or manual folding version. Also, does it really matter if I get a power folding mirror for a car with manual folding mirrors?

All good advice will be very much appreciated.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
The power folding mirrors can be manually folded just like the non powered ones so that shouldn’t matter, if the plug that goes to the door controller is different you would be able to just re-pin your old plug and tie away the power folding ones, you may also want to check out aliexpress https://m.aliexpress.com/ as there are various new mirror parts available including glass, motors, covers etc, https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-Golf-6-mirror.html , I bought some carbon effect mirror caps from them a while ago and they were pretty good quality for the £20GBP I paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bolder Driver

Carlosfandango , many thanks for the useful info. Unfortunately, enough individual parts were broken that the parts cost total compares unfavorably to the cost of a used mirror. However, buying some carbon effect mirror caps may cost less than a repaint of a used item. There seems to be lot of choice on the AliExpress website that you linked. Which of the carbon effect caps on offer did you buy that impressed you with their quality?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Carlosfandango , many thanks for the useful info. Unfortunately, enough individual parts were broken that the parts cost total compares unfavorably to the cost of a used mirror. However, buying some carbon effect mirror caps may cost less than a repaint of a used item. There seems to be lot of choice on the AliExpress website that you linked. Which of the carbon effect caps on offer did you buy that impressed you with their quality?

The particular listing I bought from isn’t on there any more but if you check the feedback on the others, many include buyers photos as well as comments, there were also complete mirrors available but you’d have to search with different key words, there’s also primed caps on there cheap that are easily painted with a rattle can, as they can be painted off the car and need no blending, it’s an easy process even if you’ve not done it before, there are also listings of painted Mk5 caps on there in your colour so may also be some for the mk6! (Haven’t checked though).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk