GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Traded in the 2.5L

twodotfive

Ready to race!
Nice! How much did it cost you to get it sounding that way?

Not much at all.

Just a neuspeed p-flo (around $200) and the exhaust i got fitted at Magnaflow R&D.

nomadic

Ready to race!
I feel like it's only natural to move up. I love my Golf, I really do and I think it's the best car for me at 19 y/o, because it's not open to as many mods as the GTI, and it's a great daily car for a college kid. The grand-daddy of Hatchbacks, blah blah. The GTI is great but I'd never want to move up to it as young as I am right now only for the sole purpose that when you get a GTI, you need to be ready to spend when that mod bug bites (since the name psychologically makes you want to mod it).

Maybe when you're 19 it does. I've had 3 Mustang GT's and a Z28. And I still prefer the Golf to the GTI for a daily driver. Golf has plenty of grunt for me and the ride is nice compared to the GTI. Never feel the urge to move up....and with $4.50 for premium gas in SoCal......I'm glad my car doesn't require it.

Maybe when you're 19 it does. I've had 3 Mustang GT's and a Z28. And I still prefer the Golf to the GTI for a daily driver. Golf has plenty of grunt for me and the ride is nice compared to the GTI. Never feel the urge to move up....and with $4.50 for premium gas in SoCal......I'm glad my car doesn't require it.

Yeah, I hear steering wheel covers make it feel like a racecar. Especially if there was a chevy one on it previously.

Techmonkey

Ready to race!
I'd be interested to hear OP's thoughts on the upgrade now that he's been driving the GTI for a month or so. I keep getting the itch to do similar, but the 2.5 does make for a great daily driver and has a level of reliability that I'm hesitant to trade out of.

Techmonkey

Ready to race!
and with $4.50 for premium gas in SoCal......I'm glad my car doesn't require it.

I'm not jumping on the bandwagon of people giving you shit. I've always been curious about the mentality with premium fuel. On average the difference between 87 and 91-93 is .50 or .60 per gallon. That works out $6-8 difference per tank. I guess it adds up in the long run, but it really doesn't seem like that much to worry about.

twodotfive

Ready to race!
I'd be interested to hear OP's thoughts on the upgrade now that he's been driving the GTI for a month or so. I keep getting the itch to do similar, but the 2.5 does make for a great daily driver and has a level of reliability that I'm hesitant to trade out of.

I'm not OP but i'm in a similar situation. (Had my Golf for 2 years and just got the GTI about a month ago.)

Love the DSG. It's amazing on the freeway since it's so smooth/fast that you dont feel the downshifts in regular drive mode so you just give it a little bit of gas and it goes. In my golf, I got tired of having to downshift to 4th just to pass someone on the freeway. Steering wheel feels amazing and the overall steering feels a lot tighter. I'm stage 2 now and the powerband is amazing.

The golf is no doubt a great daily driver with a super reliable engine (that sounds great). But if you do decide to upgrade I think you'll definitely enjoy it.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion

Also not OP, but I jumped from the 2012 2.5L Jetta SE to a 2013 GTI. I had the Jetta for 9 months, and loved it, but itched for more power. Got a raise at work so I could afford it, and decided I was going to jump at the chance, and have loved it every day since (didn't help my wife just got the new Ram 1500 and was leaving my little Jetta in the dust :cry:)
The 2.5 is probably the most reliable engine VW has ever produced, so it goes without saying that a GTI won't be as reliable. That being said, the GTI has not proven to be an unreliable platform. There are issues here and there, but there are with any car. Definitely worth it IMO, and I would do it again if I had to do it over.

I'm not jumping on the bandwagon of people giving you shit. I've always been curious about the mentality with premium fuel. On average the difference between 87 and 91-93 is .50 or .60 per gallon. That works out $6-8 difference per tank. I guess it adds up in the long run, but it really doesn't seem like that much to worry about.

Premium here in WA is usually at most $0.30 more a gallon, but most stations are only $0.20 more. From completely empty on a 14 gallon tank, it's less than $3.00 a tank. I was maxing out at 25mpg on my Jetta, and I drove it spiritedly. Driving my GTI spiritedly (granted this is with the tune), during summer I was hitting trip averages of about 30mpg (75% hwy, yet very hilly commute), and during winter I am hitting 23mpg or so. I will give up that extra 2mpg at all times for a minimal cost increase in gas for a much more fun car any day of the week.
Not knocking on the 2.5 platform at all, my jetta was fantastic, I just personally thought my upgrade was worth it.

I'm not OP but i'm in a similar situation. (Had my Golf for 2 years and just got the GTI about a month ago.)

Love the DSG. It's amazing on the freeway since it's so smooth/fast that you dont feel the downshifts in regular drive mode so you just give it a little bit of gas and it goes. In my golf, I got tired of having to downshift to 4th just to pass someone on the freeway. Steering wheel feels amazing and the overall steering feels a lot tighter. I'm stage 2 now and the powerband is amazing.

The golf is no doubt a great daily driver with a super reliable engine (that sounds great). But if you do decide to upgrade I think you'll definitely enjoy it.

Both bolded statements I highly agree with, and I feel are very accurate of my experience as well.

nomadic

Ready to race!

It's not the mentality of premium fuel.......it's the price of fuel. Here in San Diego 87 is around $4.30 average and it's been higher. That in itself to me is ridiculous. The last thing I want to do is make that $4.60 when my car requires premium. It's not that it's only a few bucks more per tank.......it's that fuel prices already SUCK and I have no intention of paying more.........especially for a 2.0 4banger that can't run on regular.

And about needing to go down to 4th to pass in the Golf......if you're looking to fly past someone while already going 80.....then a 4th gear downshift is necessary. Any other type of overtaking is pretty effortless keeping in D I find. The Golf can hit 90+ in no time and stay there all day.

Techmonkey

Ready to race!
It's not the mentality of premium fuel.......it's the price of fuel. Here in San Diego 87 is around $4.30 average and it's been higher. That in itself to me is ridiculous. The last thing I want to do is make that $4.60 when my car requires premium. It's not that it's only a few bucks more per tank.......it's that fuel prices already SUCK and I have no intention of paying more.........especially for a 2.0 4banger that can't run on regular.

I'll agree with you on the fuel prices. 91/93 here (Chicago) is around $4.30/gal. Seems like yesterday I was paying $1.20/gal. Yeah. I'm getting old....

Thanks much for the replies about upgrading. Gonna see how the MK7 turns out over the next year or so and go from there. May as well use up the extended warranty. :beer:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I loved the smooth quiet ride of my Golf, but desired the speed of the GTI. So traded up for the GTI last week. If you guys are in need of a Carbonio cold air intake, Eurojet Exhaust or some center caps for your stock steel wheels I posted them up on the for sale section.

I did a lot of reading and learning on this site, wanted to thank all the helpful people that shared their knowledge on here.
Congrats !

I sorta went the opposite, in that we have a 09 Tiguan and thought my next car would be a GTI but decided on the Golf 2.5 after having the Rear Main Seal on the TSI engine cause all sorta $$ problems. GTI has a lotta mods but I for one like to keep life simple.

Just my 2 cents.

deckard2

My 2012 2.5 2dr golf is due to go back in October this fall.
It has been a great car but a thought has always been looming in the background.
Issues with the car once the warranty has expired.
I have read one too many occasions where VWs have slowly fallen apart and start chipping away at owner's wallets the first thursday after the warranty expires.
Yes everyone has positive comments about the 2.5 drivetrain but I am also concerned about all the other systems hanging off or attached to the car being problematic.
Any high mileage mk6 or even mk5 owners please chime in about their car's issues after 100000kms.

dynamiik

Ready to race!
2.5 is probably the most reliable engine vw makes (next to the 2.0 8v)

There are plenty of 2.5ers way past 100k. All you have to do is routine maintenance and it will last a very long time

Fandango

Ready to race!
Funny this is brought up now...lease ended February 17. I decided to buy out the car and the dealer threw in the CPO certification. This past Friday I got a check engine light on the way home. Its at the dealer now and they wanted to keep it overnight so they sent me home with a 2.5l 2013 Jetta(ugh it feels so wrong). Only a month out and already having issues...At least its mostly paid off from the down payment in case I need to ditch it.