GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

running lean and misfire after cobb stage 2

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
Hi guy im new to the VW scene, ive had my 2011 GTI for about 2 years and decided for my first upgrade im going to get the cobb stage 2 power package. very nice, good quality, sounds amazing. install seemed pretty easy and it really opened it up. I was running the AFR on my accessport and I know it cant be incredibly reliable but its something, was reading anywhere between 14-15 cruising, 13 under boost and 17 coming off boost, I don't know a lot about AFR but according to accessport when I come off a pull it read 235 and stop reading until I slowed down or got back into the throttle. threw a CEL code p0101 mass air flow and another code for lean bank 1. thought it was the very first actual pull on stage 2 cleared codes and tried it again to see if it came back and it didn't, ran like a champ the rest of Saturday and Sunday no hesitations or CEL. then this morning on my way to work i went into the gas a little bit and the CEL came on flashing and started stuttering after about 2k RPM light went off when stopped or light driving and comes back after that 2k RPM again. code P0101 mass or volume air flow circ range/performance, p0303 cyl 3 misfire, and P2177 too lean off idle bank 1. as far as i can tell everything is installed properly. going to move the #3 coil to see if it follows since ive heard these coils aren't the greatest. on payday im going stratified tune maybe that will cure the MAF and lean issues?

brobst

Go Kart Champion
What intake are you using?
People have had some issue with some intakes needing a flow straightener to help the air hitting the maf sensor

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Make sure you flashed the correct tune. There are multiple stage 2 tunes. You need the" Stage 2" 91 or 93 map, if you flashed the "Stage 2 stock maf" map that's your problem.

People have also had issues with that intake w/o a maf Straightener. Get a Treadstone maf Straightener it generally solves the problem.

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
I flashed it stage 2 on 91 with stock MAF. I still plan on getting a stratified tune but ill try reflashing just stage 2 on 91 and see if it improves anything. going to get some r8 coils too for the misfire

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
You don't have the stock maf... Flash the other tune "Stage 2 91"

As for the misfires you have the right idea, probably blew them (coilpacks) when you first tuned and did some driving.

Last edited:

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
You don't have the stock maf... Flash the other tune "Stage 2 91"

As for the misfires you have the right idea, probably blew them when you first tuned and did some driving.

^^ what he said

If you installed the COBB intake, you do not have the stock MAF.
Meaning, flash to the other OTS Stage 2 map and you should be good to go.

:burnrubber:

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
ok I will reflash that after I get off of work, I ordered a MAF straightener and a set of coils and plugs since the misfire followed the coil, im not sure if its ever had plugs changed so might as well get it out of the way.. I figured operator error was part of it, to some extent anyway. Thanks guys hopefully after this I don't run into any more problems.