GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

engine durability

visceralsoup

Ready to race!
So I've been doing a bit of digging and I read that the 2.0T isn't a very tough motor when it comes to adding power. My question is what exactly is the weak point in the motor?

McQueen77

Banned
Just the intake manifold, water pump, the injectors, HPFP, ignition coil packs, etc........ Other than that though, the TSI can handle a shit ton of power

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
So I've been doing a bit of digging and I read that the 2.0T isn't a very tough motor when it comes to adding power. My question is what exactly is the weak point in the motor?

Actually it is quite fine, bunch of "enthusiasts" running 50/60% over stock and it is mainly holding up while only spewing the occasional oil here and there.

Austin_W

Go Kart Champion

How much power are you talking? The clutch is the weak link for 6MT guys in the driveline, other than that you can get up dangerously close to 400hp on stock internals. APR's stage 3 kit does not require pistons or rods.. Not a BT guy so I dont know firsthand.

Check out the Big Turbo Discussion Thread and you'll learn everything you need to know about power and the 2.0T engine.

TheCastle

Ready to race!
Well I suppose it depends on your perspective...

There are pleanty of folks running APR Stage 3+ kits on a completely stock motor making 400WHP without issues. Heck I find it amazing that the transmissions are fine, the engines are fine and the axels are fine. So is this a weak motor/tranny not really. But how much power do you expect a 2.0L engine to make without breaking?

Austin_W

Go Kart Champion
Long story short, you'll be limited by the fact that its a FWD car far before you reach the limits of the engine.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I would summarize it this way. The motor is fundamentally very strong and takes power very well as others have said. But irregardless of the power added, there are some weak points that fail intermittently. The water pump, intake manifold flappers, coil packs and the timing chain tensioner tend to fail. Only the last is catastrophic. The others require immediate attention but are $250, $250 and $80 to replace, respectively (and without installation, if that's your thing).

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Irregardless is not a word.

Boom, roasted.

visceralsoup

Ready to race!
Well I suppose it depends on your perspective...

There are pleanty of folks running APR Stage 3+ kits on a completely stock motor making 400WHP without issues. Heck I find it amazing that the transmissions are fine, the engines are fine and the axels are fine. So is this a weak motor/tranny not really. But how much power do you expect a 2.0L engine to make without breaking?

Yea I have seen that 400ish whp is possible but my concern is longevity with mods. I mean I know that with mods come engine life decrease but how much are we talking? Ive heard at 50k things go south with even a mild tune.

smrtypants44

Go Kart Champion
I would summarize it this way. The motor is fundamentally very strong and takes power very well as others have said. But irregardless of the power added, there are some weak points that fail intermittently. The water pump, intake manifold flappers, coil packs and the timing chain tensioner tend to fail. Only the last is catastrophic. The others require immediate attention but are $250, $250 and $80 to replace, respectively (and without installation, if that's your thing).

Sorry but...lol I had to point that out.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
I think it's a pretty good motor, easy to work on, and the weak points above are easily fixable.

When I had my GTI, I drove the crap out of it with a Ko4 and enjoyed a track day every month where the car would be driven at competition level speeds... it did have it's issues which may be related to too aggressive a tune at the time causing overheating... or just the number of track miles I had (actual race cars get their engines rebuilt every season... and I did probably the equivalent of 4 race seasons in the 60,000 miles I had the car)

Now Ko4 hardware is in my wife's VW CC running a different companies software... driven daily stop and go commuter type miles by a female that doesn't understand why you don't floor it while the engine is cold and always tries to get ahead of the cars next to her instead of hypermiling along with an occasional track day... and her car is running just fine:)

On the other hand I replaced my GTI with a V8 M3... although I have no issues with my car... I've found out that other M3's are going through rod bearing failures that at a minimum may need rod bearing replacements every 50,000 to 75,000 miles as preventative maintenance to a maximum of shelling out $25,000 for a new engine...

So that being said... issues with the GTI where easier and cheaper to fix...