Console rattles

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion

p4kk0

Passed Driver's Ed
Crank up the jams

PuYang

Ready to race!
I hate it too lol... I also get it on the passenger side, somewhere... I'm hoping disabling soundaktor will solve some of the issues ;p

McQueen77

Banned
be more specific. when i first bought my car there were a number of annoying rattles, now, 30k miles later, there are none. took some effort but they are all fixable.

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
be more specific. when i first bought my car there were a number of annoying rattles, now, 30k miles later, there are none. took some effort but they are all fixable.

Ok - it may be better described as a vibration noise rather than a rattle. It happens on either on a slow rate of acceleration between 2800-3300 or on a deceleration in the same rpm range, while in gear.

car has 33k miles on it, had it since 11k. think the vibration came out as i've stiffened the engine mounts, etc.

So, i've found that if i press down hard on the arm rest with my elbow it goes away. So i tried lifting the arm rest to the first notch so it's not sitting on the console. Still there. It is much less if i lift the arm rest all the way up and behind my elbow.

Not sure if any of this helps or not.

McQueen77

Banned
you didnt mention the engine mounts. yeah, you're screwed. anything like that will bring all that shit out more. try removing the plastic side panels to the far right and left of the dashboard. also make sure the sound isn't coming from somewhere else, as sound has a funny way of traveling. for the longest time i thought i had rattles coming from the dash when in reality it was the plastic panels buzzing against eachother down by the footwells.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
you didnt mention the engine mounts. yeah, you're screwed. anything like that will bring all that shit out more. try removing the plastic side panels to the far right and left of the dashboard. also make sure the sound isn't coming from somewhere else, as sound has a funny way of traveling. for the longest time i thought i had rattles coming from the dash when in reality it was the plastic panels buzzing against eachother down by the footwells.

This. I drove myself nuts convinced that I had a rattle in the passenger side B pillar. I thought I'd have to take the interior panels off and maybe do something with the seat belt, but when my wife was in the car she thought it was coming from the drivers side. I eventually found out it was my sunglasses rattling around in the holder in the ceiling! I lined it with some thin foam and 2-sided tape and my one and only interior rattle was gone.

Also, unplugging your Soundaktor will help, too. I believe it'll stop future buzzes from happening down the road.

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
Thanks guys. no soundakator for me (2010), had the good ol' fashion noise pipe which is gone.

Sounds do travel weird, but i think this is isolated to the console as if i put weight on my right elbow down, it seems to go away. I thought it was the arm rest "lid" but nope. Not going to go crazy but may be worth it to keep looking if im bored.

This. I drove myself nuts convinced that I had a rattle in the passenger side B pillar. I thought I'd have to take the interior panels off and maybe do something with the seat belt, but when my wife was in the car she thought it was coming from the drivers side. I eventually found out it was my sunglasses rattling around in the holder in the ceiling! I lined it with some thin foam and 2-sided tape and my one and only interior rattle was gone.

Also, unplugging your Soundaktor will help, too. I believe it'll stop future buzzes from happening down the road.

Lodi

Go Kart Champion

Hutz

Just picked up a gti mk6 and there is a slight rattle on passenger side - sounds like it's above the back of the front passenger footwell, behind the glovebox. Tried the side panel removal and the torx screw was fine. Anyone have any other ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk