GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Throttle Response Issue *Resolved*

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I had a friend marry a stripper. I wouldn't recommend it. Pretty sure they named their daughter her stage name...Savana.
Years ago my buddy from College dated a stripper, he didn't wind up marrying her, BBQs and parties with her friends, we never missed a single one:p.

... ya they drove some pretty sporty cars as well. :lol:

Phur

Autocross Champion
[emoji1787]
Cheyenne is sexy as hell but you know she’s just waiting to steal your wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
... I drove my car on Sunday and it drove perfect. It was awesome. Drove it yesterday and it drove like shit. Drove it today it was fine. I'm so tired of the Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde effect....
Cheyenne, sounds like she has a Temp Sensor reporting intermittently.,
Coincidently today, I saw the Humblemechanic's latest video on VCDS, have you used VCDS to scan the Temp Sensor outputs to see if any is out of wack.

Try this as well, pull the black hose that goes from the purge valve to the Throttle body and plug both the hose as well as the barb on the Throttle Body and drive with the purge valve out of the way for a couple of days.

[emoji1787]
Cheyenne is sexy as hell but you know she’s just waiting to steal your wallet.
:tweetz::tweetz::tweetz: :eyebulge:

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Cheyenne, sounds like she has a Temp Sensor reporting intermittently.,
Coincidently today, I saw the Humblemechanic's latest video on VCDS, have you used VCDS to scan the Temp Sensor outputs to see if any is out of wack.

Try this as well, pull the black hose that goes from the purge valve to the Throttle body and plug both the hose as well as the barb on the Throttle Body and drive with the purge valve out of the way for a couple of days.

:tweetz::tweetz::tweetz: :eyebulge:

Doin it right now. Good suggestion.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Don't you need to leave that hose open though to vent the gas tank?

Some interesting results. The car has been playing very nice since I did this but suddenly at a light the check engine light came on (expected that eventually) but coincidently the car turned on me at the exact same time. Dunno. Coincidence? Maybe. The sad part is the evap system is a hard thing to monkey with.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Don't you need to leave that hose open though to vent the gas tank?

Some interesting results. The car has been playing very nice since I did this but suddenly at a light the check engine light came on (expected that eventually) but coincidently the car turned on me at the exact same time. Dunno. Coincidence? Maybe. The sad part is the evap system is a hard thing to monkey with.
No, to test the mechanics just put a piece of dowel equal to the ID of the hose to block it, eventually you may get a error code. It does need to open eventually, I don't think there is an actual data check when/if the purge valve opens and dumps/vents the gas fumes to the TB, so if you will get a Error Code/CEL is would only be for the emissions system and rarely hurts performance or affect the fuel trim.

NOTE: The Problem is usually the hose connections, Charcoal Canister, intake manifold leak or N80 Valve. N80 valve is a maintenance item on all VW, coz they fail in the life of every VW.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
No, to test the mechanics just put a piece of dowel equal to the ID of the hose to block it, eventually you may get a error code. It does need to open eventually, I don't think there is an actual data check when/if the purge valve opens and dumps/vents the gas fumes to the TB, so if you will get a Error Code/CEL is would only be for the emissions system and rarely hurts performance or affect the fuel trim.

NOTE: The Problem is usually the hose connections, Charcoal Canister, intake manifold leak or N80 Valve. N80 valve is a maintenance item on all VW, coz they fail in the life of every VW.

The first thing I did when I bought the car was replace the N80 valve as I had a check engine light. So I know the valve is good but I also changed the hose and I believe went with a 3/8" hose as it was braided and 1/4" wouldn't fit. Sounds like the evap system can actually have a big effect on fuel trim and I guess it's possible to be pulling too much vapor in via a larger diameter hose. The larger intake manifold shouldn't affect vacuum. Anyway as an experiment I added a 3/16" hose and cleared the code.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
The first thing I did when I bought the car was replace the N80 valve as I had a check engine light. So I know the valve is good but I also changed the hose and I believe went with a 3/8" hose as it was braided and 1/4" wouldn't fit. Sounds like the evap system can actually have a big effect on fuel trim and I guess it's possible to be pulling too much vapor in via a larger diameter hose. The larger intake manifold shouldn't affect vacuum. Anyway as an experiment I added a 3/16" hose and cleared the code.

To be honest IDK much about the emissions system and required vacuum, 1/4 inch is the correct original sizing, 3/8 inch I find is too big it initially will fit easily over the barb but can be a source of a vacuum leak when it gets old or is really cold outside; I like to stay with the original spec for shit IDK about.

BTW, you can have cracks/cuts under the sheathing that covers the hoses, and never know it.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
It would have to be pretty old to get cracking on 2 ply stainless steal braided tubing. Down side is it doesn't give at all so the fittings have to be the right ones.

The irony is I just ripped this exact same system off the Harley on Saturday but there are no sensors on the motorcycle and the new gas tank doesn't have the vent line like the stock tank.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Another interesting thought about gas tank vapors and this issue is that as stated before it seemed most prevalent on hot days. I have learned with the Harley that on hot days the gas cap will hiss if you shake the tank slightly as the gas in the tank expands from the heat of the tank walls above the gas line.

Also the valve is another spot the wiring was very tight due to the change in position from the IM. I rerouted that as well while I was at it.

I am cautiously optimistic as the car hasn't acted up yet since changing the lines but I am sure it will. Cheyenne is just waiting to catch me off guard.

All I can say is cheyenne is pissing me off. I have treated her right, spent plenty of money on her and she's still giving me headaches. She better get her shit together or she's gonna end up a drug mule down in Tijuana.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
A good video recommended by the humble mechanic on the evap system...

https://youtu.be/y4heTf4rz7A

It say that as little as 1% variation of evap vapor can change the air/fuel mixture as much as 20%.

I should run the check on the N80 through Vagcom and see what it says although rediness for the evap system was fine last I checked.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
....All I can say is cheyenne is pissing me off. I have treated her right, spent plenty of money on her and she's still giving me headaches. She better get her shit together or she's gonna end up a drug mule down in Tijuana.
Spoken like thu Gangsta :laugh: