GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

what is this sensor on my windshield? (2014 GTI, mk6)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
That's not a sensor that's just black paint dots on the windshield, aka the "dot matrix", to block some light there but not fully obstruct it

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Really? I thought it might be for the rain sensing sensor (windshield wiper).

Yes, really

The rain sensor would be behind the mirror mount on the windshield with a wire going to the overhead console. These cars didn't have that option, I believe (in North America anyways)

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Wait what. What exactly does it do when it "senses" the rain? Automatic turns on the wipers? Indication on the dash because you clearly cannot see in front of you that it is raining? lol...

Scratch that, I read this article from Safelite and thought'd share a snippet:

"The rain sensor on your windshield helps keep you safe as well as other drivers. Paying attention to the road in front of you can be difficult if you are distracted, where even turning on the windshield wipers can be an effort.

With a rain sensor, you don’t have to worry about turning on or off your windshield wipers because it is taken care of for you. "

Are we really in a age where turning on the wipers is too much effort? Geezous.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Wait what. What exactly does it do when it "senses" the rain? Automatic turns on the wipers? Indication on the dash because you clearly cannot see in front of you that it is raining? lol...

Scratch that, I read this article from Safelite and thought'd share a snippet:

"The rain sensor on your windshield helps keep you safe as well as other drivers. Paying attention to the road in front of you can be difficult if you are distracted, where even turning on the windshield wipers can be an effort.

With a rain sensor, you don’t have to worry about turning on or off your windshield wipers because it is taken care of for you. "

Are we really in a age where turning on the wipers is too much effort? Geezous.

Don't knock the rain sensing wipers. Had them on my MK4 and they were the best. Just put the wipers on the first setting and then they handle the rest. Stops raining? they stop. Starts downpouring? They speed up. It's like saying why make an auto transmission? Are people too lazy to shift?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
What we need now are automatic blinkers.

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
RLS system also lets you enable coming/leaving home features. Super convenient. Once I receive my new windshield (RLS specific), I am going to have the OEM RLS mirror assembly installed. So looking forward to it.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Don't knock the rain sensing wipers. Had them on my MK4 and they were the best. Just put the wipers on the first setting and then they handle the rest. Stops raining? they stop. Starts downpouring? They speed up

^^^This

They adjust for the conditions essentially with the sensor

And on a car equipped with the RLS, and with the feature enabled, it can even close everything if rain is detected. For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2rC0wr0zno

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I supposed once you got used to it, it would be practical. I can't stand the one we currently have on the car where the wipers automatically slow down when you get to a light and then speed up as we drive away. I always forget about it and end up throwing my wipers up to full speed not realizing they are already on at like mid-speed.

Lol, 1st world car problems.