GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Radio

nelcito10

Radio completely died on me no power no nothing. Just curious to know what's a decent radios are out there that is great for the car other than it's stock oe replacement. I already went through all the parameters to make sure it was the radio that was actually dead. Live in the US

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Look up the RCD 330 Plus No Name.

I installed that one a couple months ago and it's been really good so far. I initially thought the AndroidAuto wasn't working with my Galaxy S8 but found that I needed to use the original OEM usb cable to link it up. Once doing that it worked like a charm. It's been really good and gives a very OEM look to the car with the upgraded touchscreen and all. I previously had the stock OEM I think RCD310 cd player unit...

TheCor

Ready to race!
Look up the RCD 330 Plus No Name.

I installed that one a couple months ago and it's been really good so far. I initially thought the AndroidAuto wasn't working with my Galaxy S8 but found that I needed to use the original OEM usb cable to link it up. Once doing that it worked like a charm. It's been really good and gives a very OEM look to the car with the upgraded touchscreen and all. I previously had the stock OEM I think RCD310 cd player unit...

Agreed, RCD330+ on Ali Express. I bought one, was actually VW manufactured, fits the vehicle perfectly, same color backlighting, everything. Then you get Carplay/AndroidAuto. Plug and play, make sure you get the FM adapter for the states too.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
I had this pioneer apple play head unit when I had the car. Worked well for me and was able to mirror my maps app on the screen. They come with android mirroring as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nelcito10

I had this pioneer apple play head unit when I had the car. Worked well for me and was able to mirror my maps app on the screen. They come with android mirroring as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What pioneer was this?

nelcito10

Agreed, RCD330+ on Ali Express. I bought one, was actually VW manufactured, fits the vehicle perfectly, same color backlighting, everything. Then you get Carplay/AndroidAuto. Plug and play, make sure you get the FM adapter for the states too.
Thank you and snail power will definitely look into them

nagokart

Ready to race!
I'd go with the RCD330. Most aftermarket options look out of place on the dash. The RCD330 flows perfectly and adds a classier element to it than the stock unit.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Op if you don’t end up going after market and just want a stock replacement unit I can sell you one for cheap that’s in perfect condition, pm me (it’s the real basic radio that came with the base model)

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Is the rcd330 plug and go or would I have to splice some wires together?

It's plug and play. Just don't forget to take out one of the adapter plugs from the box like I did, lol.

I went nuts trying to figure out how to connect one of the OEM cables into the new unit when it clearly wouldn't fit. I went back online to review my order and saw a picture of the contents it was supposed to come with and noticed the extra adapter. I'm like, wtf is that. I went back to the box with all the padding/foam wrapping that I had ready for recycle and found the adapter in the mess. :rolleyes:

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Just like SnailPower ,
I would recommend the rcd330g plus model with android auto.

My brief review of the rcd 330g plus in my mk6 GTI

Replaced my RNS315 with RCD330G Plus with Android Auto/Car Play
Should have upgraded long time ago.

Some minor complaints:
- have to have usb plugged in for android auto.
- no album art via Bluetooth. But my RNS 315 didn't have it either.
-bluetooth mic picks up more background noise because of the mic location. But callers say that my voice is loud and clear.
- No Satellite Radio
- No oem navigation ( but was outdated either way)
- No CD ( but didn't use the stock CD player once , since I owned the car)

-If android auto is connected and you turn off the radio , it will ask you to re pair your Bluetooth device.
Just disconnect the device via the app menu on the radio and you won't have the problem . And reconnect the device once you start the car again.

Pros:
- Android Auto/Car Play
-6.5" screen responsive screen and quick
- Better FM reception
- sound is just as good as rns315 if not better.
- all steering wheel buttons work, Google assistant is way better than the original voice recognition software.

if you plan to use Android auto no name version is recommend. Desay is car play only not upgradable to android auto .

Trim not clipped in all the way in one of the pictures

Last edited:

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Yeah everything ^ said.

I'd like to add however that the bluetooth connectivity if you have the car saved as a blue tooth device on your phone is SUPER quick. I mean like, as soon as I enable Bluetooth on my phone, it's linked. The old RCD315 had this super annoying delay before it would eventually link up.

The cable required for AndroidAuto is annoying but worth it when you do use it because the music browsing is great. You can use phone apps such as Slacker/Pandora, and google maps is awesome from the screen.

I also will say I never used the CD player once when I had the older model. I stopped paying for Satellite when I heard the same song play 5 times a day. Not one person has said 1 thing about not being able to hear me on the phone since switching it. I never even asked them just so they wouldn't have something to complain about.

Pro Tip - If you hate the message telling you to not forget your phone when you turn off the car and the bluetooth is still enabled, you can turn this warning message off in the settings :)