GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shark Fin antenna

mlvswoll

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2010 MK6 black and I have been washing and waxing it regularly. I am noticing a lot of fading on the shark fin antenna lately, like a dull graying effect on the sides. I realize its a plastic part and exhibits different wear from the regular painted panels. Any suggestions on upkeep? It moves some if you polish it hard and I do not wish to damage it or dent the roof.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
The stuff to fix oxidized headlights might work. I may leave fine scratches that are not as visible on clear plastic. It may be easier to replace the it if it is just a cover.

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
Yes Back To Black should do it.

The last time I took mine into the dealers for the digital gear indicator they asked if I wanted it washing I said no it isn't that dirty. By the time he came back they had already washed it. The following day I noticed that all the plastic wheel bolt covers had got white, they must have used some alloy cleaner that made them go white. I removed them all and coated them in back to black there is still a hint of white on them but I haven't been back to claim a set of covers under warranty.

Don't let the dealer wash your car?

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Has anybody had luck with Back to Black or any other product? My antenna is also getting dull for some reason.

spagett!

Go Kart Champion
Had nice results on my side shirts, rear valence with back to black. Granted, though, the car is less than 2 years old and not faded bad yet. Once a month application keeps everything looking fresh for me

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Had nice results on my side shirts, rear valence with back to black. Granted, though, the car is less than 2 years old and not faded bad yet. Once a month application keeps everything looking fresh for me

I haven't tried Back to Black yet, but the antenna is a glossy-coated plastic instead of the type of plastic that's on the sideskirts and valence, which makes me think it won't work.

green hell

Ready to race!
back to black works well, but if something is badly faded it won't perform miracles.

so back to black once a month for appearance, then i use eagle one nano wax spray on all the black trim (particularly the textured stuff) for appearance and protection.

optimum spray wax also works well.

Svtpony

Ready to race!
I find that Turtle Wax Trim Restore works fairly well. You can pick it up anywhere for less that $10. I've had the same bottle for well over a year. Used it on multiple cars and my R1. The only problem I find is after you first apply it, it will collect dust. Other than that it will bring even badly faded plastic right back to a nice deep black.

Desertnate

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you have the GPS/SAT radio shark fin or is there another one with just an antenna in it?

The shark fin with my GPS/SAT equipped car is painted just like the rest of the car. To make that look better I'd use regular car polish and wax with a little rubber protectant for the seal around the bottom.

If you have something else that's a textured black plastic of some sort, I'd start by cleaning it with a very mild all-purpose cleaner to get all of your previous products off. Once it's really clean, I'd use something like the Turtle Wax product Svtpony mentioned or use something like Duragloss #271 or #253 which should be available at CarQuest or Napa stores. Other reputable trim protectants like 303 Aerospace or Meguiars will work too, but they won't last very long and you'll need to re-apply them every time you wash the car.