GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI sucks on ice - almost wrecked twice

red_dragon

Ready to race!
I realize no car is good on ice, particularly black ice, but I was kind of disappointed how my car handled. A few days ago in Northern VA we had some light snow/ice on the road in the early morning. On two separate roads, I lost control of my car and was unable to stop, just sliding all over the place. The first one I had to steer into some guys yard lol and then the second I had to go into the middle median covered in snow to avoid sliding into the back of another car. Still using the original tires and about 11.5k miles on them.

How is yours on ice and snow? :D

nockiboo

Ready to race!
I realize no car is good on ice, particularly black ice, but I was kind of disappointed how my car handled. A few days ago in Northern VA we had some light snow/ice on the road in the early morning. On two separate roads, I lost control of my car and was unable to stop, just sliding all over the place. The first one I had to steer into some guys yard lol and then the second I had to go into the middle median covered in snow to avoid sliding into the back of another car. Still using the original tires and about 11.5k miles on them.

How is yours on ice and snow? :D

get some winter tires, stock tires are not good for that type of weather..

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Any car sucks on ice if the driver doesn't know how to drive in poor conditions...

You know that little "Ding", the snowflake icon, and the flashing temperature readout? That means ice is possible so you should probably slow down.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Maybe this thread should read: GTI stock tires suck on ice, since the actual car has little to do with it.

Upgrade tires and driver.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
A/S tires + person who does not understand how to drive in bad weather = this.

My GTI kicks ass in snow/ice and I am on A/S tires. I turn the traction control off as it drives TOO nice, lol

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Stock tires with 23k on them still doing well here and we've had a fair share of ice this year. Slow down, don't brake, and don't oversteer when ice is around.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
Textile snow chains broseph. Get them or go ice skating in your car.

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
My GTI isn't as nice in snow, even with snow tires, as my Jeep ZJ or my Audi B5 A4 Quattro.

Imagine that, 4WD/AWD with high-mid profile tires is better in snow than FWD stiff suspension with low profile tires. Go figure!