GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

50K Mile Preventative maintenance

Aggression

Hello all,

About to hit my 50K mile mark, looking to see if there is any preventative maintenance I should be thinking about when I go in for service. I did a quick search on the forum, but didn't find anything specific. I drive 100% highway to work, 50 miles round trip in the Bay area.

*I have my oil changed every 5,000-7,000 miles.

*I had the 50K mile full maintenance done at 44K due to driving from SF to SD on the Pacific Coast Highway and I wanted to have it done early. Also had plugs and wires replaced.

*Had my fuel pump/Water pump replaced under warranty because they failed.

I plan on keeping her for a while, and since its my daily driver, I want to ensure everything is in tip top shape. :headbang:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
not really. the 50k service is just an oil change. and since you did plugs and coils already you are early (as those are called for at the 60k service). The only thing i could think of which isnt usually done till 60k is the fuel filter replacement. But that's really dependent on the quality of gas you fill up with.

Otherwise its just a oil change. Maybe check your wiper blades if you havent used them in awhile and replace them before the rainy season.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
You might want to think about a carbon cleaning soon, or at least check to see how bad it is right now

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

medolave

^ OP has a 2013 so he should have the latest revision tensioner. Older models should definitely follow your advice though.

If manual, consider flushing the transmission fluid especially if you can do it yourself. Cheap preventative maintenance and makes shifting much smoother. For life fluids are BS, but 50k is pretty early...

I second fuel filter, again easy DIY.

Really preventative maintenance.... replace DV and PCV.

Lastly if you can, get under the car and check for leaks and general condition of the car.

riceburner

Autocross Champion