GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is the dealer BS'ing?

SirFlux

Passed Driver's Ed
I tested a CW DSG back in January and I should have purchased it then, I suppose I wasn't ready for a purchase of this magnitude. Anyhow, I wanted to test another GTI to make sure it is the car I want. The GTI is perfect for me, I love it.

My ideal car:
CW
DSG
4 Doors
Autobahn
Xenons (I could always purchase Halogens and throw on aftermarket HIDs)
18's

I drove a similar GTI but it was Black with 17's and halogens. The dealership said there is "absolutely no way" I would be able to get the CW car listed above because the "production on 2010's has ended" and "what I see is what is left until the 2011's". They said that I had to be "flexible" and "open minded" with my car choice. They also mentioned how the car would sell in just a few days because it's a "smoking deal".
-Does this sound like they are BS'ing me and using psychological games just to make a quick sale? I feel like they could at least try and find one. (btw, if anyone is from Mass, it is Quirk VW).

I found a similar car at another dealership, only difference being it is my 2nd choice in color (CSG). I wouldn't mind this, but I love the white (especially with tints thrown on it :w00t:) If people don't think it's possible to find the CW with my wish list I may jump on this one.

I know if I wait and order a 2011 I can probably get exactly what I want, but I'd rather get the 2010.

Am I being too picky here?

Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

NaysayerSlayer

Ready to race!
SirFlux...I wouldn't say they are BS'n you all the way! Ofcourse they want a laydown sale but they are correct in what's available out there right now. I bought my CW GTI back at the end of April and I had a hard-time then locating a model with all the features I wanted within a 5 state radius. So with that said, if I were in your shoes I would go for the 2011 and get all the things you want, factory HIDs, etc! I know it sucks to wait but you are gonna kick yourself for being hasty and not getting everything you want!!!! August is right around the corner!

msm00b

Ready to race!
Being picky about colors or specific options this late in the year can be tricky. Dealers are basically stuck with what other dealers have in the region and will trade back and forth for autos. I bought my car 2 months ago and had to compromise on the color of my vehicle (I wanted the darker grey) because I didn't want to pay extra for 18s and Xenons.

I would, however, use it as a bargaining tool to get a better price.

Will it sell fast? Probably. The 2010 GTI is one of the harder vehicles to get at this point. Supply is dwindling much faster than demand. I wouldn't sweat to color too much, black is sexy. As far as tires/rims go ... 17s give a more comfortable ride, tires are cheaper but still good looking, and tires are more durable and will last you longer. 17" vs 18" ultimately comes down to the "bling" factor ... and if bling is what you want there are lots of aftermarket 18-19" rims that look better than stock VW GTI rims.

If the car is close to what you want, it'd be reasonable to compromise on one or 2 options. Worst case scenario you can always replace the rims or get a nice custom paint job down the road. Finding your "perfect car" at this stage of the game will be hard ... and doubtful you'll have much bargaining room if there's only one or 2 cars out there that fit your desires perfectly.

Bender1

Banned
They are not really BSing you. Nationally, supply is UNDER 14 days and on the East Coast it is even tighter.

What you see is what you get at this point.

You are certainly not being too picky but the 2010 production cycle is over so what is here is here.

Is color more important than year? If it is, wait. If it isn't, jump on the one at the other dealer.

mikeydubs

Ready to race!
I bought mine 2 weeks ago. It never came into question if my car could be built or not the way I wanted it. I got it exactly how I wanted as it had to be shipped in from Germany. Maybe I was just lucky, but the dealer never gave me a hard time about it. 3 weeks for shipment too. Maybe they already had one on the way that was exactly how I wanted mine, I don't know.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Do get Xenon, but skip the 18" wheels if you think there's even a remote chance that you'll want to upgrade them to something else.

You'll save money and have a set of 17"ers for winter.

Bender1

Banned
I bought mine 2 weeks ago. It never came into question if my car could be built or not the way I wanted it. I got it exactly how I wanted as it had to be shipped in from Germany. Maybe I was just lucky, but the dealer never gave me a hard time about it. 3 weeks for shipment too. Maybe they already had one on the way that was exactly how I wanted mine, I don't know.

Same here (though it was about 4 weeks ago) but it is all timing. I believe there will not be anymore shipments.

The real question here is why isn't the dealer trying. I would go to the other dealer if you pick up the CSG or not.

That said, as I said before, he isn't being fully dishonest with you. It just seems he is not willing to put the work in.

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
2010 model run has ended for the gti

you either pick whatever 2010 you can find

or you order a 2011 and wait for it

/thread

Antero128

Ready to race!
cars.com is your friend. Check out what is available in your area in terms of 2010.

Edit: I just did a search for new 2010 items within 30 miles of me. 72 cars are available. :)

-Dozer-

Ready to race!
I'd start emailing or calling all the dealers within a driveable distance. Since you've driven the GTI and know what you want then you just need to find the GTI with the trim specs you'd like to have.

The dealer just wants to get the car out the door. They aren't totally BS'ing you since they are probably fairly certain they'll sell the particular one you drove sooner than later, but somebody ought to have a Candy White GTI sitting around.

For me, I started looking months ago, gave a bunch of dealers the specs I wanted and they all came back with cars I needed to jump on immediately "before it was too late!!!". :) Then one day I walked into the nearest dealer to me and there on the showroom floor was my GTI. I wanted Black, but damn if the red didn't look sweet with the Karthoum wheels. It had Leather, Bi-Xenons, Dynaudio, Nav and when I opened the door I about fainted to see that it was also a manual!!! Apparently the last 2010 they ordered, so they got one tricked out, but with a manual for the real drivers in the group ;) hehehe

Keep your head up and you'll find the GTI that is right for you.

Biff

Ready to race!
Send out e-mails asking for internet price quotes in your area. Most of us paid around invoice or less.
You have quite a few options, and with 2011 the options are packaged in groups--okay in your case. There will be a smart key of sorts available in 2011 which I wish I had. Xenons are a bargain option if you want them (they turn too).
I agree with the 17" wheel advice, but in my case I had to take 18" to get the other options I wanted. Would much rather have spent the money on an aftermarket, truly lightweight "mag" wheel. If you really want the Detroits so-be-it, but the 17" is an unpainted version of it.
Sounds like you really like CW--you should hold out for this if it's that important.
There's good advice in the rest of these responses.

anotherfiz

Ready to race!

Honestly, I got the last CSG GTI in a 500 mile radius with the options i wanted. But i also got it for 23,548.48 before tax/tags with 18" detroits, bi-xenons, power sunroof... This specific car didnt have the the detroits either, the other CSG with the detroits had 45 miles on it, and the one with 17s had 9.3 miles on it. they switched for the difference in invoice on the wheels.

Biff

Ready to race!
Honestly, I got the last CSG GTI in a 500 mile radius with the options i wanted. But i also got it for 23,548.48 before tax/tags with 18" detroits, bi-xenons, power sunroof... This specific car didnt have the the detroits either, the other CSG with the detroits had 45 miles on it, and the one with 17s had 9.3 miles on it. they switched for the difference in invoice on the wheels.
That's a great price, (and I got a great price) same options as mine. My wheel switch would have been the reverse of yours, but they said they couldn't do it. They did go to considerable lengths to get the car I wanted so I let it slide.