GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf 2.5L Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 07-28-2018, 10:54 PM   #71
Wascally Wabbit
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Rabbit Diesel/TDI/2.5L
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
Surprising what you do on your car but get the Dealer to do the oil change.

After my first eye operation a couple of years ago, I had the Dealer do my oil change, they slightly over filled it over the top mark,....didn't like that so haven't been back.
Only reason I have them do it is it costs just about the same to have them do it vs me doing it. It's 80 bucks with a carwash. It cost me almost that much to change the oil myself and have the car washed. I haven't had a problem with them doing it so far.
Wascally Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:28 PM   #72
MLue1
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wascally Wabbit View Post
Only reason I have them do it is it costs just about the same to have them do it vs me doing it. It's 80 bucks with a carwash. It cost me almost that much to change the oil myself and have the car washed. I haven't had a problem with them doing it so far.
NP, but my DIY oil changes are like $50 CAD including taxes.
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:41 PM   #73
Wascally Wabbit

I have been toying with the thought of replacing the Throttle Body on my car as the throttle has been erratic from day 1 and I have tried everything to get it worked out and have gotten it better but starting out in first is still problematic. Problem is a new TB is not cheap and I am not going to buy a used one because who knows what I would get. I ended up getting a new Grams 70mm Throttle Body off a guy on here for $250 and I am going to see if this fixes the issues I am having. The Grams TB is supposed to have much better TPS so we will see. If it works out it will be my favorite mod to date as the erratic throttle has pissed me off from the start.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:46 AM   #74
MLue1
FIA GT Champion

Exclamation

WOW,.... Ya didn't !!! I shoulda responded earlier but was distracted with other things.

I woulda tried just another throttle body or new MAP sensor first to see if either had a positive effect.
Going from 57mm to 70mm is too big a step, you would potentially lean out by up to 60% as the throttle opening is outa sync with the fueling maps.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:33 AM   #75
Wascally Wabbit

Haven't heard anyone complain about a lean condition moving up to this TB. The TB isn't really a bottleneck on the golfs so I wouldn't think it would be an issue. I have read a bunch of people throwing the 70mm on their cars with no ill effect. The ECU should adapt.

Already replaced the MAP sensor and a new VW TB was almost as much as the Grams, so might as well go with the better of the two.

IE uses an 80mm TB on some of their builds.

Last edited by Wascally Wabbit; 08-25-2018 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #76
Wascally Wabbit

Well despite the fact that Gram's assured me it would work the 70mm TB will not work with the 2.5L. The sensors are not compatible. Tried to align the TPS with VCDS and error. Emailed support and they said it should work. Showed them the errors and they backpedaled and said it is not compatible. Lame. Anyway for those thinking about it. Forget it. To reiterate...

The Grams 70mm throttle body is not compatible with the MK5 or MK6 2.5L engine. The website says it is but this is not correct.

Last edited by Wascally Wabbit; 10-12-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #77
MLue1
FIA GT Champion

Since you have VCDS to recali the TB, you can swap in a borrowed throttle body to test.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:07 PM   #78
Wascally Wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
IDK it could be the MAP sensor being sensitive.

It looks like the engine is compensating... , it reminds me of how our stock tune was acting going down steep hills in cruise control, since it was in gear it would pulse/surge when going down steep hills at like 70 mph when the cruise control backed off. I never solved the problem but once the IE Stage2 Tune was installed the problem disappeared.
Well I think I found an answer. So today I drove out to Palm Springs for a conference and going over the grade there was an accident so it was stop and go traffic up a steep hill. My car was acting up bigtime. It would rev when starting out in first and as MLue stated above "compensate" and as the rpm's dropped I would gas it to bring them back up, as I'm on a steep incline, and the engine would not respond temporarily and then kick in. Then because you're now flooring it trying to get some rpm's it takes off. It was an extreme example of the issue I have been dealing with. So then I thought maybe there's a sensor in the clutch or something that was killing the engine because it was thinking it would stall? No sensor that I know of in the clutch other then the position sensor to make sure the clutch is in when starting the car. So what would kill the engine like that? Then it hit me and I remembered my dark winters trying to do donuts in the Cabellas parking lot in Anchorage in my TDI. When trying to have some fun the traction control would kick in and kill the engine and hit the brakes until you get traction again. So I wondered if maybe the traction control was kicking in when the engine revved in first thinking I was trying to do a burnout or something. So I said well lets just see what happens if I turn it off. Well. Night and day difference in throttle control with it off. It still revs a little when starting sometimes but now I can actually compensate for it and have a clean start whereas I was trying to compensate and my car was trying to compensate and it was just all over the place. Literally today I would be trying to start in first up hill and the car would rev and I would hold the throttle steady and the rpm would oscillate 1000 rpm on its own several times before the throttle would react to my foot position. It was nuts. Turned off traction control....drives like a normal car. Thoughts? Drove all day with traction control off. It was wonderful.

Makes me think the TPS is actually going, or has gone, bad.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:10 PM   #79
Wascally Wabbit

Also on my commute today with traction control off I had no revving or throttle issues at all. Also my MPG is showing 5+ mpg more for the trip both ways. Something is definitely FUBAR somewhere.

Ordered a new TB today. If that doesn't do it I am not sure where to go. I guess just drive with the TC off all the time.

Last edited by Wascally Wabbit; 10-11-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #80
Wascally Wabbit

Installed the new TB and problem solved. Car runs perfect. Cannot believe I have been driving this thing for almost a year with the throttle as jacked up as it was. I just thought the golf had really crappy throttle response and I never got any codes for anything related to the throttle or traction control.

Apparently there was an issue with the connection between the throttle body and the traction control.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:01 PM   #81
MLue1
FIA GT Champion

Great job!

Now that it's fixed and you know how easy the 2.5 is to drive, don't go falling a sleep driving in stop and go traffic.

Last edited by MLue1; 10-12-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #82
Wascally Wabbit

In case anyone was curious what the inside of the Throttle Body looked like.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:45 PM   #83
Wascally Wabbit

Throttle Body testing.

https://youtu.be/hO_ky-_PKig

It passed.

Last edited by Wascally Wabbit; 10-13-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #84
MLue1
FIA GT Champion

Lightbulb

Those gears control the position of the throttle butterfly, I believe your TB failed on the idle control side, ... it would be good to know how that goes.