A/C stopped working!!!!

biggee72

Go Kart Champion

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Updates?

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
You don't have "Freon" in your car. Freon is the equivalent to NOS, it's a brand. Freon is DuPont's branding for R12 refrigerant. Hell, they stopped production of Freon and every other R12 around 1995ish. Yours and every other modern car uses R-134a refrigerant.

/pet peeve rant

myfastgti1

Ready to race!
:clap:
You don't have "Freon" in your car. Freon is the equivalent to NOS, it's a brand. Freon is DuPont's branding for R12 refrigerant. Hell, they stopped production of Freon and every other R12 around 1995ish. Yours and every other modern car uses R-134a refrigerant.

/pet peeve rant

m0oZ1

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll still all it freon no matter how much I don't want to. I has be come a habit through the years.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Okay okay, GEEZ. Due to the clamp damaging the compressor hose, REFRIGERANT leaked out and I wasn't able to get cold air when I turn on the A/C.

I'm heading back to Keffer tomorrow morning to get it repaired. I believe the mechanic is replacing the the hose along with a new clamp. IMO, the hard plastic piping is a bad design on VW's part. Why did they run rubber hose from the firewall to the plastic piping and then back to rubber hose leading into the A/C compressor? Cut cost, perhaps?? Makes no sense.

Last edited:

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
:cool:
Okay okay, GEEZ. Due to the clamp damaging the compressor hose, REFRIGERANT leaked out and I wasn't able to get cold air when I turn on the A/C.

I'm heading back to Keffer tomorrow morning to get it repaired. I believe the mechanic is replacing the the hose along with a new clamp. IMO, the hard plastic piping is a bad design on VW's part. Why did they run rubber hose from the firewall to the plastic piping and then back to rubber hose leading into the A/C compressor? Cut cost, perhaps?? Makes no sense.

Do you know where this is? Possible to put a pic in here? This will be a great archive for people with this issue down the road, and for those that want to check their line now for wear! Thanks!

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I will post up a pic of the hose/clamp when I get home. I'm getting it replaced at the moment.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Here you go yea'alls. It's the clamp and lower hose in the red circle. The hose along with the clamp were replaced. NOTE: the pic was taken from the side so the hose is to the left of the throttle rubber coupling if you are standing in front of the car looking into the engine bay

Two thumbs up to KEFFER VW!!!!

And here's the description written (WITH PART NUMBERS) by the service consultant:

Last edited:

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the picture, I will look at mine, now your are:cool: :w00t:

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
No problem....

The technician said that mine is the second one he has replaced. From looking at it, it's not easy to detect a problem. He found out when he tried to recharge the refrigerant and it leaked from that location.

P

plac

Here you go yea'alls. It's the clamp and lower hose in the red circle. The hose along with the clamp were replaced. NOTE: the pic was taken from the side so the hose is to the left of the throttle rubber coupling if you are standing in front of the car looking into the engine bay

trying to get an idea where exactly in the engine compartment this pic is from. suppose we should all check the area just to make sure.