GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI / S2000 - which to keep / sell

emk6

Ready to race!
Sell GTI. Keep S2K. Unless you travel far for work, DD the odyssey

MMartel455

Funny. I have a GTI and a 2011 Odyssey. I used to have an S2000. I'm also in my 40s and used to autox. Here is what I would do...keep the three cars and forget about track days.

I regret selling my S2000, they will go up in value. Will you really be able to do track days? With my family and job I cannot find the time to do it. You can always pull the S2000 out for sunny days.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
S2k >>>>>>> GTI

Buy roll bar. Done.

B-5

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds like my situation...2011 GTI, 2011 Oddy, and my dad is selling his 2003 S2k with 40k miles...never modded, which I wouldnt mind having!

And how do we know the OP is not taking care of his family????

CLEsonny

Ready to race!
Act your age and take care of your family first. Sell the car that you don't NEED and be able to pay your kids through college if needed. I wonder how the Cleveland public school system is. My parents worked their asses off so I could go to private school and not be bused with all the trash in my hometown.

I like to think that I turned out okay for going to public school.

It depends on if he actually lives in Cleveland or a suburb. I live/went to Lakewood public schools (suburb) and got into the same college as two friends that went to one of the very well known private school in the area. We all graduated with engineering degrees. I graduated last year.

But I say keep both cars. If you want to trade the GTI, go for something practical for Ohio weather. Or wait for the .:R Sportwagen :thumbup:

Last edited:

Devilchrono

Ready to race!
And how do we know the OP is not taking care of his family????

We don't, it's just typical internet conjecture where people are reading more into the situation/question given them thinking they know more about the OP's situation than we do.

I say keep them both and just mod the S2K for the HPDE days you do.

marsh1665

Ready to race!
im in Cleveland (lakewood) too and had a 2004 S2K that i traded in and i still regret it 6 years later. If you have the funds to keep it, then don't get rid of it!!!!!

Optical TDI1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the all of the comments everyone. I'm going to stick with what I have for this year and think long and hard for options for next summer (hence my looking for other opinions now). The last thing I want to do is make a quick decision, as that usually results in regret. Plus the S2000 in Silver w/full red interior is unique and my kids love it too! And Honda only imported around 900 of these color combos, so it would be hard to replace this one.

For those folks offering family and personal financial advice, I live in a westside suburb, have multiple degrees and value education. But thanks for looking out :). It never hurts to have all kinds of advice and we can all take anything on public forums with a grain of salt.

marsh1665

Ready to race!
you should have kept the '77 Buick Century

booey1979

Go Kart Champion
In my 40s married with children and I currently have a 2013 GTI w/DSG so my wife can drive it, a 2013 Odyssey, and a 2002 S2000. I want to get back to doing HPDE w/NASA. Using FWD does not appeal to me, and I would rather not install a Hard Dog 4 point bar on the S2000. I've done approx 10 weekends of HPDEs (Mid-Ohio) in the following cars: A3, MKV GTI, RX8, and 996. The RX8 was probably the most fun, with the 996 being a close second. I imagine the S2000 would be a blast!

The cheapest route would be to bite the bullet and install the Hard Dog bar and have a blast with the S2000. But I would rather not do the chopping and cutting, plus I don't care for the look of the bar installed. So ideally the S2000 would be a street car only.

Options:
1. sell S2000 and buy a RWD car with a $12k budget, keep GTI. I've regretted selling previous cars and the S2000 is one that I would probably seriously regret.

2. keep S2000 and sell GTI. But, I would need a 4 seat RWD or AWD with a twin clutch tranny - no torque converters! If new, then $25k budget. If used, then I would to stay under $17k. If only the new WRX had a twin clutch tranny. Maybe a 2008 R32, but even though 4motion, still a FWD car platform.

3. sell S2000 and GTI for the upcoming Golf R due in 2015. But again I would probably regret selling the S2000.

4. keep both S2000 and GTI. Get wheels, tires, pads, and fluid for the GTI and run a FWD car at HPDEs. It's not the end of the world for a couple of years, but not ideal.

5. Ideas????

Thanks for your opinions on this topic.

Not even gonna read your post but I know the answer. Keep the s2k. This car is a classic in the making. 2.0 liter making 240hp, hi revving. It's one of two classic cars honda has made in the last 2 decades. It was revolutionary engine at its time, and continues to be a classic.

Optical TDI1

Passed Driver's Ed
you should have kept the '77 Buick Century

Ha!! That was my first car bought when I was 15 1/2. Had my temps and took it out when I wasn't supposed to...learned how to fishtail in that thing! It was a blue Buick Century "Special".