GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

parking Brake

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Just did my rear brakes, pads and rotors, and after I was done the parking brake is a little loose. Why would it loosen? I would think it would be the opposite with added pad thickness. I know how to adjust under the center console but was curious if anyone knew why it would loosen up with brake replacement. All I can figure is taking tension off the cable allows the nut to spin a little.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
hey... just did the same for my son's car and initially had the same feeling prior to breaking in the brakes.

Here's what i did when I took it off the jack stands.

1) make sure that the brake fluid reservoir is fully closed. (didn't need to top it up)
2) turn car on to engage brake booster.
3) repeatedly stomped on the brake pedal
4) engaged / disengaged manual e-brake

after that everything was back to normal.

not sure if you have the electronic brake or manual however after doing this a few times it was good to bed in the pads.

hope this helps

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
hey... just did the same for my son's car and initially had the same feeling prior to breaking in the brakes.

Here's what i did when I took it off the jack stands.

1) make sure that the brake fluid reservoir is fully closed. (didn't need to top it up)
2) turn car on to engage brake booster.
3) repeatedly stomped on the brake pedal
4) engaged / disengaged manual e-brake

after that everything was back to normal.

not sure if you have the electronic brake or manual however after doing this a few times it was good to bed in the pads.

hope this helps

Thanks for the reply. Ya it seems to have tightend up a bit which is also weird but whatever. As long as I don't have to mess with anything I'm happy.

Last edited: