GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

This smell.. Please help me rid it!

blongo804

Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a '12 GTI 2-door for what I thought was a great deal. I loved the car since the first test drive, but I knew it had a funky smell that I assumed I can easily get rid of.. You know what they say when you assume. So let's get right to it..

- It has the good 'ol "sweaty feet"/mold smell.
- I've tried the Kilma Cleaner spray method to clear out the evaporator coils. It took the cleaner some time to set in, but suddenly my A/C drain was running like a river out of the car.
- After the Kilma treatment, I put in a new Mann charcoal cabin filter.
- After that, I tried one of those Meguiar's de-odorizer spray bomb things. Car smelt decent.
- Smell came back over the course of a few days.
- I then tried spraying Ozium into the cabin air intake under the cowl. Out of the 3.8oz can, I've probably used almost 3 of those ounces.
- The Ozium made the cabin air smell good coming in, but I don't think the incoming air smell was really the issue because the smell is present from the moment you open a door or the hatch with no air on.

Now I come here because I've been doing some reading and it seems there's a lot of other possibilities.

I tried a quick test on my sunroof drains, at least the front. I poured water into the driver/passenger front drain, and watched water come out of the fender liners, nothing onto the footwell carpets that I felt. Not sure if that's a good sign, or if there's water potentially pooling up elsewhere still.

I tried pouring water into the cowl area, it also drained out of the fender liners. Again, maybe it's still molded up somewhere? Not sure how fast or nicely it should stream out of the sunroof or cowl drains because it was kind of splatter-y draining, if that makes sense.

I checked for pooled water under the spare tire - it was a little cruddy under there, but no signs of mold/water. I will say, the hatch jamb and taillights were pretty scummy before I cleaned them. I read that the taillight seals can allow water in. Should I remove the taillights next?

Ugh.. Just running out of ideas and am hoping for some help. I really love the car, but I can't keep dealing with this smell for much longer. It's literally disgusting and sticks to clothes, gym bag, and other.

:help:

Jaber

Modero
Have you checked to see if the car might of been in a flood?

blongo804

All I can really go off of is the previous owner's legitimacy (bought it private sale) and the CarFax which doesn't show anything of the sort. So to my knowledge, no flood issues.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie

was thinking the same thing. If your carpet padding has the funk or if the car seats themselves have the smell.

Have you done the sniff test on all the carpeted areas, under the seats, back seat, fold the seat down, take the rear seat out etc....find it man..just find it.

Jaber

Modero
All I can really go off of is the previous owner's legitimacy (bought it private sale) and the CarFax which doesn't show anything of the sort. So to my knowledge, no flood issues.

Sounds like you will have to start taking apart the interior to find the source of of the smell and where water was or is coming in.

blongo804

was thinking the same thing. If your carpet padding has the funk or if the car seats themselves have the smell.

Have you done the sniff test on all the carpeted areas, under the seats, back seat, fold the seat down, take the rear seat out etc....find it man..just find it.

Sounds like you will have to start taking apart the interior to find the source of of the smell and where water was or is coming in.

I think I'll just have to do the sniff test and just start ripping things apart unfortunately.

I guess on the plus side, I do still have my previous car sitting, waiting to be sold, so the GTI could go down for a little bit.

webbry4

Ready to race!
I’d try shampooing the carpets and replacing the mats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie

I agree in part? But if it's in the under-padding under the carpets shampooing the carpets {why is the word Poo in shampoo???!!} is not going to make a heap of difference if there's any mold or dampness smell in the under-padding as it'll never dry properly..I went through this in my old MK3 Jetta after I found a leak.. Had to take everything apart and pull the padding...found the source..cut it out and scrubbed the metal and let everything dry in the sun before installing again. Smell was gone though :D:D

avni

Ready to race!
Could it be possible mold built up in the HVAC system?

I know people let the A.C run with windows down under high temperature can cause mold.

not sure how factual that is though

blongo804

Do you think the smell would attach to monster mats? I guess it's a possibility! Either way I'm about to get scrubbing everything down. I also have a steamer that should come in handy.

I agree in part? But if it's in the under-padding under the carpets shampooing the carpets {why is the word Poo in shampoo???!!} is not going to make a heap of difference if there's any mold or dampness smell in the under-padding as it'll never dry properly..I went through this in my old MK3 Jetta after I found a leak.. Had to take everything apart and pull the padding...found the source..cut it out and scrubbed the metal and let everything dry in the sun before installing again. Smell was gone though :D:D
I'm just hoping it's not under the carpet.. That is one nightmare I don't want to deal with. Ugh.
Could it be possible mold built up in the HVAC system?

I know people let the A.C run with windows down under high temperature can cause mold.

not sure how factual that is though
I guess that could be possible. It's just concerning that the smell is always present in the cabin and cargo area, no need for the vents to be on.

Rickr71

I had a similar experience. I bought my 2013 2 door sunroof and it had that same smell it sounds like. Its not the ac creating the moldy smell its different. I have had it for a year.
In that year the smaell has not completely gone away
Ive replaced the mats, used scented baking soda on carpets and seats, sprayed and soaked everything in Lysol, kept windows open for weeks at a time, ran straight windex down drain holes for sunroof and nothing seems to work like magic. It is not as bad as it was a year ago. It is a much lighter smell that i cover up with an airfreshener that i change out every two weeks. I keep it in the cargo area.
So basically time and keeping the windows cracked has proven the most effective and it has a lighter version of that smell

Dartregor

Ready to race!
Before tearing anything out put the gti down for several days. Buy an ozone machine thats ment for rooms or big settings. Not the little ones that plugs into a cig lighter. Put it in the car and shut it up for 1-2 days and air out for 2-4 days. It needs to be strong enough where you cant be in the vehicle with it going to kill mold / bacteria that cause the smell. See if that lasts for a while. For the $67 i think its well worth not having to tear it out the carpets. Although id say it would be with it to pull the side trim off and feel under the carpet for moisture.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Before tearing anything out put the gti down for several days. Buy an ozone machine thats ment for rooms or big settings. Not the little ones that plugs into a cig lighter. Put it in the car and shut it up for 1-2 days and air out for 2-4 days. It needs to be strong enough where you cant be in the vehicle with it going to kill mold / bacteria that cause the smell. See if that lasts for a while. For the $67 i think its well worth not having to tear it out the carpets. Although id say it would be with it to pull the side trim off and feel under the carpet for moisture.

What exactly is a ozone machine?

blongo804

I had a similar experience. I bought my 2013 2 door sunroof and it had that same smell it sounds like. Its not the ac creating the moldy smell its different. I have had it for a year.
In that year the smaell has not completely gone away
Ive replaced the mats, used scented baking soda on carpets and seats, sprayed and soaked everything in Lysol, kept windows open for weeks at a time, ran straight windex down drain holes for sunroof and nothing seems to work like magic. It is not as bad as it was a year ago. It is a much lighter smell that i cover up with an airfreshener that i change out every two weeks. I keep it in the cargo area.
So basically time and keeping the windows cracked has proven the most effective and it has a lighter version of that smell
Ugh.. Knowing this doesn't have my hopes high, but the below user recommended this ozone generator that may be what I (we?) need. After I steam down the interior, scrub the carpets with odor eliminating cleaner as well as the panels, I'll see if I need an ozone generator. Seems a bit hardcore, but maybe it's necessary.

Thank you very much for the suggestion! I'm going to do what I mentioned above, and if all else fails, even after checking for moisture under the carpets, I will give the ozone machine a try. Sounds like it may be what I need.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
What exactly is a ozone machine?

"Ozone generators intentionally produce the toxic gas ozone and are sold as air cleaners for commercial and residential applications. Specifically, they are advertised to deodorize, disinfect, kill or remove dangerous or irritating airborne particles in indoor environments"

People exposed to elevated levels of ozone may experience a variety of symptoms. The most common symptom is a feeling of irritation in the eyes, nose and throat. Some people may also experience respiratory or heart symptoms such as shortness of breath, chest pain, and wheezing.

seems...:iono:risky? unlike saving your energy...find a cool day.. get some trim tools and check under the gas pedal...doors jam.. .seats.. and passenger side under the carpet and under the padding for moisture...then you can decide you next move. Not to minimize your efforts however you've already tried cleaning, why not now try sourcing what it's not to determine your next move?

6 days w/o the GTI vs 1 day.. .life's short. Make a run at it.

We have confidence you'll sort it out :D:thumbup::clap: