GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clunk while sitting/ straight line after PSS10 install.

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the input. The clunk is more of a safety concern then just an annoyance, as the top mount and the strut move...
The car has a 2 finger gap all around, so I'm deffinitely not low.
So frustrating.

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
Update:

I have done the following...replaced 034 motorsport strut mount. Noise still there...

Then today I had my stock springs and struts put on while keeping the passat spindles.

Good news, no noise. I will send the bilsteins for a rebuild.

Bad news. And I need help as I am running out of ideeas.

This behaviour has been present all along, maybe getting worse:

I thought the low speed noise, was causing this at high speed, but now that my stock stuff is on, it still happens....

Basically the car is ok till higway speeds, no torque steer or anything like that. Then if I floor it at highway speeds, it will change lanes dramatically on its own, the car feels like it is aquaplaning on dry surfaces, and loss of control is imminent. This only happens when I accelerate. The steering gets very light and all confidence of going fast is lost. Wtf is wrong I don't know anymore.

The car has the deadset collars front and back.Walk on passat control arms, with front bushings frome whiteline( a pain to install) , a eurosport lower control arm brace, new oem type links, whiteline sway 24mm with h&r mounts for the sway, passat spindles with new bearings, new outer tierods, passat balljoints, tierods and balljoints mounted with the larger passat nut.

The car is so unstable it is dangerous.
Now on stock shocks, there is no noise as described in the video, but the car feels like it will constantly loose control, if accelerating at highway speeds.
Please help.

Mechanic says everything is tight...

Can't be the tires as i would think the behaviour would be constant, not just accelerating.

OlHeadz

Ready to race!
Question: After installing the stock equipment, have you had the vehicle aligned? If not, it's probably why you are feeling this "loss of control".

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
^^Agreed on the alignment. If you changed the top mounts that would need to be done. Especially if your mechanic was putting in new tie-rods. If it's your alignment is that off you might even be able to "see" without visiting an alignment shop.

Going back to the clunk: have you tried lowering the car? PSS10's have a lowering range of 30-50mm, if you have a two finger gap your outside of this. There was a thread back on Vortex where a guy we getting clunking because he was running is H&R SS/Ultrlows too high, lowering took care of the issue. Spring rates change after a while and you'll need to adjust the pre-load.

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
Alignement done twice... Good shop too.
Mk6 pss10 is 20-40 from stock golf height.
The noise is definitely the pss10 strut.
Stocks back on and no noise/ clunk , also noise/clunk was only on the left side.

OlHeadz

Ready to race!
Alignement done twice... Good shop too.

Sorry for repeating the same question, just trying to get clarification. So you took off the Bilsteins and went back to the stock suspension? After swapping back to the stock suspension, you had an alignment done?

I am asking this because the alignment is critical in the tracking of the car. If the tire pressure is even, the tread on the tires is wearing even, then the alignment would be what keeps the car tracking correctly. If it were off, you wouldn't necessarily feel it at lower speeds, but once the speed increases, it could become dangerous.

I have over ten years of alignment experience and have corrected many alignments that were supposedly done right. I have also worked with people that do some fairly shady stuff to get an alignment to look green, just to get it done quick.

Do you have an alignment sheet that we could look at? Some shops still think you can get away with setting the front toe and letting it go.

There are also other things I'd be interested in seeing such as the camber and caster angles which could tell the story to your tracking issue. Even if the steering wheel is straight, the alignment might not be in. If you have the most recent spec sheet after the swapping to the stock suspension, I'd like to see see it. Good luck.

Last edited: