GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Most comfortable shocks ?

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
I'm running racingline lowering springs and Golf R shocks/struts on my car .... They seem like the don't absorb bumps and cracks like a modern shock should.

Here's my question/thought.

Are the Koni yellows/sports that are adjustable, actually more adaptive then the R shocks due to a better internal design?

Are the B8's more compliant due to the same reasons as above (better internal design) ?

Just wondering thoughts, opinions and actual experience on what is the most compliant damper for these platform of cars.

Thanks,

Sent from my DEVICE using Tapacar

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Check your bumpstops. If they’re stock length on a lowered car they’re probably engaging and quickly ramping up your spring rate every time you hit a bump, leading to an awful ride.

If this is the case there are “sport” replacement bumpstops you can get that are just over a half an inch shorter with a similarly gentle progressive increase in rate.

VW part numbers...
Front: 1K0 412 303 F
Rear: 1K0 511 353 N

If I had to guess I’d say that it’s the tears that are causing you trouble, as they’re nearly in use at stock ride height. If you lower the car an inch and don’t cut them or replace them they’ll be compressed roughly a half an inch. This may also cause the car to have a bit of a forward rake.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I have Yellows on my car with stock springs and for the most part I like the ride. It’s mostly smooth but you feel the big stuff more than on the stock dampers. The extra rebound really makes the low frequency stuff (like creating a hill and getting light) feel really nice, it’s the harsh high frequency stuff (like potholes) less comfortable.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
i recently installed the koni str.t struts and they made a great difference over the worn OEM's with VWR springs. handles crappy roads so much better now. great price too

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
I've barely dropped the car with the racingline springs and the front bumpstops are the short euro versions ....

It's mostly the front that feels harsh ....

It's every small bump that is thumpy so I'm wondering why there so rough ....

riceburner

Autocross Champion
How many miles on the car? When I replaced mine i was only near 60k and one strut was already leaking. Swear it felt as you describe, most bumps were really harsh and the whole interior was rattling. Threw on the str.t's and it's 100x better.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
How many miles on the car? When I replaced mine i was only near 60k and one strut was already leaking. Swear it felt as you describe, most bumps were really harsh and the whole interior was rattling. Threw on the str.t's and it's 100x better.
I've only put about 10000 km on this setup max .... It's always been this stiff and rough.

My Interior rattles too .... Not what I want my car to do.

Will the shocks you put on now work with eibach pro-kit?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
the pro-kit is a shock and spring setup, yes?

If so, and the springs can swap with OEM springs (i.e., same mounting positions) then yes, the str.t's are deisgned to work with OEM style or lowering springs.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Pro-Kit are just springs, sold by Eibach. They’re frequently paired with a Konis. Koni Sport or Str.Ts both pair well with stock springs.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
i keep debating on Bilsteins B6 or Koni Sport or Str.Ts to go with my VWR springs.. can't make up my mind.

OP hopefully you report back what you did and how well it works out LoL

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
i keep debating on Bilsteins B6 or Koni Sport or Str.Ts to go with my VWR springs.. can't make up my mind.

OP hopefully you report back what you did and how well it works out LoL
Well I'm switching springs to the eibach pro-kit and there supposed to be softer than the racingline springs ....

Then I may try something else for the shocks eventually.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Can't comment on the spring stiffness comparison between the Pro-Kit and VWRs, because those companies don't list the rates.

I can say that it's hard to go wrong with Koni Sports, it's a really good budget performance strut and the rebound adjustment is nice to have. Bilsteins are great too, but there's no easy way to adjust them if you're unhappy. But, Bilstein dampers do have one great advantage, and that's in the easy availability of internal parts. So if you're unhappy with the Bilsteins you can easily find a shop that has a shock dyno and have them revalved to be exactly what you want them to be.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
.... B6/B8's are inverted so that makes them more reactive and makes the handling better, ever so slightly, and the ride will be a tad more comfortable.

I was looking at a video comparing then to koni's .... Now that I know there inverted, then I can assume that there the better of the two brands .... Not that KONI's are bad at all, there actually quite nice for the most part.

https://youtu.be/Qfw6oNxVi-c

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Here's a question .... For the B6/B8, how does the OE bumpstop fit the bigger tube?