GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spring install questions

epoch555

I'm looking at getting VWR springs. Talked to a shop and they quoted me about 7 hours labor to install them front and rear. Is this accurate?
Also, is just swapping the coils a good idea, I'm stock otherwise, new wheels go on after winter... Looks like the snow will be here soon.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
I've never installed springs but 7 hours seems excessive. If your doing springs better to just one and done it by also pairing them with a good shock/strut combo imo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

kerp

Ready to race!
I’m about to install VWR springs and Koni Yellows. I got a quote from a general suspension shop for $400 in labor with alignment (plus follow up alignment after 1K miles). The other quote was from a VW/Audi shop for $300 in labor and $100 for alignment.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I took my time in my driveway on jack stands, and I was done in under 3 hours. I can't see a shop with a lift taking more than twice as long.

epoch555

Thanks for the responses. Seemed a bit excessive, close to $900 in labor after tax seemed steep, I'll keep looking. I was at was chain tire shop getting my winter tires and an alignment done.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Quoting you 7 hours is the shop telling you that they're not familiar with the car and they don't want to do it.

I changed a strut on my wife's car last week (exact same amount of labor) and I had it off and back on in less than an hour (I use impact tools). With the two coil-over type front struts and the rear springs that come out rather easily I can see it taking less than three hours total if you've done it before.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
3 hrs is a good deal. I was quoted 4 hours which is not unreasonable. I have done it in my driveway on both my MK6 TDI and my MK6 2.5L when I swapped to GTI suspension. Only tricky part is clearance in the drivers side front strut assembly. The other 3 corners are super easy.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Best price I've been quoted in NJ is 450$ including alignnment. Most well-known indie shops in the area were in the 750$ range.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Four or even five hours quoted from a shop seems fair to me. That's still longer than it actually takes a competent professional mechanic, but if they include the alignment that's a decent price.

IMO as someone that's been an amateur hobbyist mechanic for decades the primary difference between someone like me that knows how to research and prepare for jobs and a professional is in the amount of time it takes to perform a task. If you've done this job on dozens of cars you end up like Jay where it's more or less muscle memory and it takes about as much thought as it takes for the rest of us to change our oil.