GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: upgrade 2011+ manual HVAC to Climatic

flyguy27

Ready to race!
Parts ordered. Bought a Climatic control panel that came from a 2010 Jetta (which should arrive Tuesday), and waiting for the sensor and everything else to ship from 1stvwparts.

What gauge wire have you all been using? I know it doesn't matter, but the speaker wire that I have is pretty heavy gauge and probably won't be a good idea to put in the car. :confused:

I used 18 gauge.

heff3rd

Passed Driver's Ed
My girlfriend has a 2010 TDI and I can confirm that there's a sensor in the dash housing above the fuse panel, however I can not locate any sensor in the below dash housing (by the way her's is also held up by a zip tie.) I checked the passenger side area after removing the uder dash trim and didn't see the sensor there either. I'm wondering where else it could be located so we can confirm the proper location for this retrofit.

Also, instead of splicing wires isn't there a way to determine the correct VW trigger wire (such as what's been used for the euro dash headlamp switch, etc.)?

Any input from VW techs?

eduardot

Ready to race!
Also, instead of splicing wires isn't there a way to determine the correct VW trigger wire (such as what's been used for the euro dash headlamp switch, etc.)?

I believe they are all called repair wires. It just happens to be that the one used for the light switch is long enough for that application.

UTmtnbiker

Is it possible to go less cold on the air?

Just did the swap myself, and all sensors are reading correctly, but on max cold, it just doesn't seem to be blowing out air as cold as it did before...almost a mildly cold air as opposed to arctic cold.

Wondering if I maybe didn't do the dial part correctly (can't remember now) and if it can be fixed via VAGCOM, as I have access to one.

flyguy27

Ready to race!
Is it possible to go less cold on the air?

Just did the swap myself, and all sensors are reading correctly, but on max cold, it just doesn't seem to be blowing out air as cold as it did before...almost a mildly cold air as opposed to arctic cold.

Wondering if I maybe didn't do the dial part correctly (can't remember now) and if it can be fixed via VAGCOM, as I have access to one.

Did you use vag after the install to monitor the temps the sensors or reading? Do this to confirm that it is blowing cold.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion

Could go the T-tap route (although some people hate those). There only seems to be one shared wire to worry about, so it should be okay.

flyguy27

Ready to race!
Today I removed the panel on the passenger side similar to the fuse access panel on the driver side and there is also a rubber plug in the vent slot which means you could technically mount the temp sensor on passenger side in stead of the driver. Just a FYI.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Ugh, I finally got all the parts in the mail and I find out that 1stvwparts only mailed me one housing, not two. Will have to wait on installing this till next week, I suppose. :(

BTW, is there any particular reason why I can't ground to a metal screw instead of tapping into the shared ground wire? Just curious.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Anyway, decided to partially install it, even if I can't wire up the footwell sensor right now. Looks like it throws a soft code in VCDS if there's no footwell sensor, but still seems to work. Maybe it's using the value of another sensor in its place? (It's also possible it's behaving in a fully manual mode because of that code, but without further documentation on the Climatic system I can't be sure.)

It also doesn't seem strictly necessary to have the controls in the same position when swapping the control unit out, but I did the flap adaptation in VCDS just in case.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Got the footwell sensor installed. Went ahead and followed the instructions at http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(5K)_Climatic afterward and no problems so far. It did seem to turn on the heater when it was close to 72 degrees (where I had the dial set at) and kept it on even after it past that point, though. Is that normal?

BTW, I'm using a module that came from a totaled 2010 Jetta, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference:

Code:
Address 08: Auto HVAC (J301)       Labels: 3C8-907-336.clb
   Part No SW: 3C8 907 336 N    HW: 3C8 907 336 N
   Component: Climatic      H13 0203  
   Revision: 00006001    
   Coding: 0000000000
   Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00146
   ASAM Dataset: EV_Climatic A01001
   ROD: EV_Climatic_VW36.rod
   VCID: 38750A52838AE1D8D95

No fault code found.

eduardot

Ready to race!
Got the footwell sensor installed. Went ahead and followed the instructions at http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(5K)_Climatic afterward and no problems so far. It did seem to turn on the heater when it was close to 72 degrees (where I had the dial set at) and kept it on even after it past that point, though. Is that normal?

I keep mine around 72-74, but it's really hot here. The heater has never turned on.

BTW, I'm using a module that came from a totaled 2010 Jetta, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference:

Mine also came from a 2010 Jetta. Slightly different part number and software. I don't think it would make a big difference.

Code:
   Part No SW: 3C8 907 336 AJ    HW: 3C8 907 336 AJ
   Component: Climatic      H14 0305  
   Revision: 00009001    
   Coding: 0000001002
   Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00149
   ASAM Dataset: EV_Climatic A01005
   VCID: 75CF3E92D49096B0023

No fault code found.

flyguy27

Ready to race!

Code:
   Part No SW: 3C8 907 336 N    HW: 3C8 907 336 N
   Component: Climatic      H13 0203  
   Revision: 00006001    
   Coding: 0000000000
   Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00146
   ASAM Dataset: EV_Climatic A01001
   VCID: 38750A52838AE1D8D95

No fault code found.

I have the other part number also from a 10 jetta and my knob is set at around 2 to 3 o clock (74-76) and only blows cold there. The temp here has been high 80's to mid 90s. Yours should not blow hot air if the temp inside the car is higher than 72.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
I have the other part number also from a 10 jetta and my knob is set at around 2 to 3 o clock (74-76) and only blows cold there. The temp here has been high 80's to mid 90s. Yours should not blow hot air if the temp inside the car is higher than 72.

Hmm, ok. I'll have to play some more and maybe screenshot the measuring blocks page on VCDS for clarification.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Went to work this morning and the car's heater never turned on, so there's probably no problem.

Question: is it supposed to automatically turn on the A/C depending on the temperature? I find that the A/C light stays off until I manually push the button even when it's supposed to be cooling and not heating.

flyguy27

Ready to race!
Went to work this morning and the car's heater never turned on, so there's probably no problem.

Question: is it supposed to automatically turn on the A/C depending on the temperature? I find that the A/C light stays off until I manually push the button even when it's supposed to be cooling and not heating.

No, you must manually activate the AC button. It only automatically goes on when you direct the air to the windshield (12 o clock on the vent control dial)