GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I might actually have to take my car to a mechanic

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Very interested to hear your experience with the 034 mounts. This is my next mod. I'm at the 8 year mark with 160km, and I haven't been a jackass in the car, but, it gets pushed.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Very interested to hear your experience with the 034 mounts. This is my next mod. I'm at the 8 year mark with 160km, and I haven't been a jackass in the car, but, it gets pushed.
I replaced only the Engine/Transmission mount. Before that, I had the $30 ECS plastic insert already installed down below in the dog bone, that made more of an immediate impression of taking up quite a bit of "slop"; from what i remember installing the aftermarket Engine/Transmission Mount was a bit underwhelming, as didn't seem like a big step considering that the price was $150CA$, so far it's held up well but then again I only have the Engine/Transmission mount (left Side), the right side is VW/Audi. I'm OK with my setup, plus I don't think our 2.5 NA can develop the torque levels of the 2.0T to even stress one 60 Durametric mounts.

EDIT: Must give a "shout out" to Jay745 he was the one who brought the mounts to my attention, Thanks.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
The motor on my car moves a lot. I had a video once as I was having issues with something hitting somewhere in my engine bay so I taped my phone on record to the coolant bottle and went for a spirited drive. I have the video somewhere.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
The motor on my car moves a lot. I had a video once as I was having issues with something hitting somewhere in my engine bay so I taped my phone on record to the coolant bottle and went for a spirited drive. I have the video somwhere.
Fantastic great idea !

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
New wheel bearings, rotor and pads for the front. New pads for the rear. Replacing the Hawk HPS pads I put on when I did the rear brakes recently. Went back to OEM. Soo much better.

Didn't get the transmission fluid or motor mounts yet.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
how much fun was the front bearings? What brand did you go with?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I went with FAG which is the OEM supplier. They were pretty easy to do. I should have done the rears as well while I was at it.

The bearing must have been on the way out for a while as I've had a some vibration in the steering wheel for a while which I thought was just tire wear but after replacing the bearings the vibration is gone. It's a much smoother ride.

Here is an excellent DIY.

https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110256

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
... I didn't think they were bad???

We may have had different versions. These were the 5.0 version. And they might be good for track day or something where overheating might be an issue but they were not good for me. What was really pissing me off is they wouldn't hold for the e-brake. They would groan so loud when you got in and out of the car no matter how much you pulled up on the handle. The groaning was the pads slipping very slightly with every movement. I know this because on steep hills it would groan super load while slowly rolling down the hill. I was going to adjust the e-brake when I did the brakes last weekend thinking it might just be an adjustment. After changing pads the car holds tight at 3 clicks and doesn't make a sound so it was definitely the pads. The HPS 5.0 pads just didn't grab well. According to them...

"HPS 5.0 Performance Brake Pad Set

Next generation high performance street brake pad offering greater stopping power and pedal feel, with very low dust and noise"

They were crazy loud. They sounded like a milling stone. And super dusty. Basically for me they were the exact opposite of everything in the statement above.

Sorry that was kind of a rant but now that they are gone I realized how terrible they really were. I'm going to email them a suggestion for their description.

"HPS 5.0 Performance Brake Pad Set

Next generation high performance street brake pad. Like an old bitchy girlfriend. Dirty, loud and useless. You won't realize how much you hated them until there gone. Unless they kill you first."

Last edited:

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Lol you want squeals? You should get some carbotech XP10 pads. That’s real screech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk