GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Dealership Issue

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
I need advice guys...I brought in my 2010 Tiguan into a VW dealership for the 40k service...The dealership is different from the one I went to for the 10k, 20k and 30k service. When they lifted the car to change the oil they notice the oil drain plug was partially stripped from the mechanic attempting to improperly screwing it back in. The VW dealer said it would be best to change the oil pan since it was pretty much stripped beyond repair. Question is, I want to complain to the other dealer, where I took the Tiguan for the 10k, 20k, and 30k service and have them cover the cost of it. Because I find it absolutely absurd that a mechanic can cock it up that badly. And I trust the new dealer telling me about the problem because I distinctly remember burnt oil smell from time to time after driving for a long time. How should I approach this situation? Thanks in advance.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Update: The new dealership is going to give me a bill describing the issue and the faulty oil pan itself...hopefully the other place will step up and claim they are at fault or else I will be out of $500. I don't want to use the name of the dealership that stripped the plug but the dealership that is helping out (Open Road VW in Staten Island) has been great thus far

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
What I would do, but it may be too late is ask the dealer where the car is at now to allow you to take photos of the stripped oil drain plug and any evidence you can collect to prove it was like that PRIOR to the new dealer touching the car. If the other dealer wants to be jerks they can always claim the new dealer did it to pass the buck. If you can't take pictures, then ask the meckanic or the whoever did the work at the new place write a memo out describing EXACTLY what they found and have him or her sign it. Take that Memo to the other dealer, or fax it to them, or Hell ask the new dealer if they will call on your behalf to the old dealer. If you get the bush off, then call VW and go from there.

Good Luck on this.

Jeff

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
What dealership was it so I dont have to go there for anything?

I don't want to say on the forum until I talk to them first.

let the old dealership know vwoa is closly monitoring the case.

I want to talk to the dealership first and then I'll get VWoA involved if I have to.

What I would do, but it may be too late is ask the dealer where the car is at now to allow you to take photos of the stripped oil drain plug and any evidence you can collect to prove it was like that PRIOR to the new dealer touching the car. If the other dealer wants to be jerks they can always claim the new dealer did it to pass the buck. If you can't take pictures, then ask the meckanic or the whoever did the work at the new place write a memo out describing EXACTLY what they found and have him or her sign it. Take that Memo to the other dealer, or fax it to them, or Hell ask the new dealer if they will call on your behalf to the old dealer. If you get the bush off, then call VW and go from there.

Good Luck on this.

Jeff

Yea it's too late for "before" pictures with it still on it. But the tech guy said he'll give me the bill as well as contact information for the future...and the old oil pan is in a bag in the trunk of the Tiguan. I'm in their system, with VIN number for the past 10k 20k and 30k service intervals so they really have nothing to argue once I go there.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Good looks like you have them in a corner...

Good Luck and keep us posted on it. I am curious how it will pan out.

Luckily it was only $500 Imagine if it was more??? Yikes.

Jeff

nakenyon

Go Kart Champion
Reading stuff like this makes me want to not let anyone but me touch my car. I get nervous every time I take my car to the dealership.