GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need to make a decision.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
First time in my lifetime that I've heard the argument that a smaller rim with a bigger sidewall offers better performance than a larger wheel with a smaller sidewall.

I'm talking handling~wise.

Ever.

Don't agree with that at all.

The more sidewall...even a "stiff" one...equates to more flex in cornering.

You want to say it protects the rim and is more comfortable? Yep. Looks is a matter of opinion. Personally prefer the less sidewall look...as long as it's not off the wall obnoxious like a 22 or 24 inch rim.

But handling performance? Nope. Sorry. If you take a car and do a slalom comparo with 17s vs. 18s of the same exact tire, there will be a difference in favor of the performance times with the 18s.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
First time in my lifetime that I've heard the argument that a smaller rim with a bigger sidewall offers better performance than a larger wheel with a smaller sidewall.

I'm talking handling~wise.

Ever.

Don't agree with that at all.

The more sidewall...even a "stiff" one...equates to more flex in cornering.

You want to say it protects the rim and is more comfortable? Yep. Looks is a matter of opinion. Personally prefer the less sidewall look...as long as it's not off the wall obnoxious like a 22 or 24 inch rim.

But handling performance? Nope. Sorry. If you take a car and do a slalom comparo with 17s vs. 18s of the same exact tire, there will be a difference in favor of the performance times with the 18s.
Do you track your car? I felt a considerable performance difference when I moved to 17's on the track. Maybe it had something to do with the weight savings too but regardless I think the handling was much better. I did probably 15 or so track days with 18's and have done 20-25 on 17's. The 18's I had were lightweight as well so the weight difference was only about 2 pounds between 18" and 17"

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Yeah when I mentioned more rubber on the road, I was referring to the amount of rubber spread across the ground. I imagine a large sidewall equaling more flex, less tire overall on the road. If you look at a Porsche/BMW and all their amazing handling statistics, the overall common theme is they got these huge width tires, and typically low profile as well.

In the end, the more rubber laid across the rim as flat as possible, the better your handling should be I'd imagine.