GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bluetooth Navigation When Listening to FM or Sirius

Scotty Dont

Passed Driver's Ed
So often times I listen to Sirius or my local sports talk radio station on FM. During this time I'm often driving to a clients office that requires me to pull up the navigation app on my phone. Here's where my confusion comes in. There have been times where my directions from the navigation will mute the radio and play the directions as if it were receiving a phone call. Most times though, it won't do that and I can only hear the directions over my speakers if I'm on the Bluetooth option on my stereo. So what am I missing here? I'd like to be able to have it consistently mute my radio to give me instructions, but I have no idea where to find these settings. For what it's worth, I'm using an iPhone 5S, but have had similar issues with both an iPhone 4S and a Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Heartagram131

Go Kart Champion
I find this too... one day it will act as a phone call and the next as BT music.

here is what i was thinking... if you wait till after the BT is paired and then ask for directions does it act like a phone call? does it do it if you ask for directions before its paired? haven't had a chance to test this...

zsm722

Ready to race!
I have rcd510 from a 2010 and iPhone 4S. You have to leave the car on BT audio, and it will play the navigation directions through the speakers. Can be done with or without playing music through BT. If you want to dock your iPhone you can but the navigation will only be played if you are listening to music. Hope this helps

Another thing. If you hold the home button and activate Siri it will simulate a phone call and use your car microphone. So you can use Siri to text, dictate a note, ask for directions etc all through the car speaker :)

-Z

Scotty Dont

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure I follow Z. What I'm saying is that there have been times where I haven't been in BT on the stereo and my directions will play over the speakers. So I know for a fact you don't have to always have it on BT to get that.

zsm722

Ready to race!
Not sure I follow Z. What I'm saying is that there have been times where I haven't been in BT on the stereo and my directions will play over the speakers. So I know for a fact you don't have to always have it on BT to get that.

I understand. Ok here's my theory. Are you using Apple maps? Or a 3rd party navigation app? If so the navigation app will probably output the sound through the telephone ( mimic what happens if you hold the home button and activate Siri while its paired to the car). The 2013 has a newer BT module than my car so I'm not 100% sure what will happen.

Try activating Siri and see what happens, if it's similar to how the directions play over the speaker and duck down the music it is probably using the telephone to output the directions.

Sorry this is really difficult to explain