GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Tires for my GTI Need Advice!!

Nicks06TR

Ready to race!
So I hit a pothole and it put a nasty protrusion on my sidewall. Long story short I need 2 new front tires, but I HATE the Pirelli P-Zeros that came with my car. I am only planning on getting the front tires replaced, and have been shopping around.

Has anyone had/ or know anything about the Firestone wide oval indy 500 tires? I have read some reviews by people who put them on their corvettes to replace the eagle f1's and love them. Tire Rack and other places had some good and some bad reviews. I can get the front 2 replaced for $300. Should I give them a go?:confused:

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Stay away from overpriced german tires.

Dunlop star specs = best bang for your buck

Bridgestone R-11, Yokohama AD08 = best tires ever

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Make sure you have the same kind of tire on all four corners to maintain the stability and predictability of the handling of your car. You could probably get away with different tires, but I wouldn't recommend it.

If you're looking for all-seasons, I'd really recommend Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. They're the best all-season tires I've ever used.

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
As pointed it out, depends what you're looking for.

Summer, all season, winters? Longevity?

I ran Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec last summer and they are awesome tires as far as stickyness goes, they stick to the road very well. I tracked my car with them no problems...however they won't last long compared to an all season...

Depends what you're looking for in a tire.

Mudkicker

Ready to race!
If you're looking for all-seasons, I'd really recommend Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. They're the best all-season tires I've ever used.

I have these on my 18" OZ Superturismo. I have used Goodyear F1, Falken Ziex and OEM Continental...these DWS tires are simply amazing, I will never buy another tire and I hope that Continental never stops producing this one.

Nicks06TR

Ready to race!
What price range are we talking for these tires? I really like the Continentals, but have been unable to find them for less than $250 a piece. Do I need to change the aspect on the tire to get something different? I have been looking at stock size 225/40/18. I will replace the rest later, I am trying to save up as Christmas is here, and I am going on a cruise in 2 months. I plan on getting the next 2 at the next rotation time, and swapping the 2 i buy to the back.

Nicks06TR

Ready to race!
Prob all season's so I can get a little more life out of them... the car is a lease so I don't wanna get screwed at the end.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
What price range are we talking for these tires? I really like the Continentals, but have been unable to find them for less than $250 a piece. Do I need to change the aspect on the tire to get something different? I have been looking at stock size 225/40/18. I will replace the rest later, I am trying to save up as Christmas is here, and I am going on a cruise in 2 months. I plan on getting the next 2 at the next rotation time, and swapping the 2 i buy to the back.

$250 apiece is quite expensive. I dunno where you're looking, but I'd go for tirerack.com. They have them for $133 each:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...utoYear=2010&autoModel=GTI&autoModClar=2-Door

If you do order from Tire Rack, make sure to click through the links in this thread so that this message board can get a kick back from them:
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3864

I'm getting these Continentals once the OEM Dunlops on my car wear out. I'm not even shopping for anything else, I know I'm getting these, haha. They're just so good for all season tires (glad to see others here that agree).

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Discount tire and easytire both price match anyone... and carry a more varied selection.

Those wide ovals are very very old technology. There are far better tires out there. DWS would be my #1 choice for an A/S

That is unless you consider the General Exclaim an A/S......(which I do)

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Thanks to Bender, on these forums, I am running the Conti DWS. Haven't had the car for long but they seem good on dry roads and this past weekend I went for a drive in some nasty weather and they felt very solid.

I would suggest these as well.

Halvie

WOOSA
Stay away from overpriced german tires.

Dunlop star specs = best bang for your buck

Bridgestone R-11, Yokohama AD08 = best tires ever

Just wish the dunlop weren't so freaking heavy. Doesn't make a lot of sense to spend a load on light wheels to offset it with heavy tires.

Thinking about trying the ad08 or conti extreme dw myself.