GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consequences of running high flow cats in California?

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
I'm thinking of going APR stage 2 on my GTI... but am hearing different reasons not to.

What are the consequences of running HighFlow cats in California?
Is the consequence different from just running a catless testpipe?
What is the fine?
Any issues with mobile checkpoints?
Would the VW dealer report you since you tampered with the emissions systems which is considered breaking a federal law in California?

Basically I just want to know if the only time I have to worry about it is just once every 6 years when I get smogged? Or do I have to worry every time I get pulled over, run through a mobile checkpoint, or while getting the car serviced?

Darkmkvigti

Ready to race!
If you do that Arnold will come and rip your arms and legs off with his teeth. Then Chuck Noris will punch in the junk with his extra fist. LOL

xxmagnusxx

Ready to race!
Well if it's not CARB approved you will fail smog. As for mobile checkpoints, I'm not sure as to what extent the search is.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Well if it's not CARB approved you will fail smog. As for mobile checkpoints, I'm not sure as to what extent the search is.

I'm not too worried about failing smog because the car is PZEV meaning no smog checks for 6 years... Reinstalling the oem cat every 6 years is fine with me.

I'm more worried about mobile check points and highway patrol...

gunmetal5

Ready to race!
I've heard that if the cops feel you are heavily modded they'll look under your car with a mirror. I heard that from a friend with a modded civic hatchback though.

PDUB

Ready to race!
Yea about the civic, it's also a civic hatch so that should explain in itself why it was gettin checked. Our cars are different, they have a much more clean look to them and who do you always see Rollin around in "fixed up" hondas? Who do you see Rollin around in gtis? If I was a cop, and I'm on my way to being one, I'd hassle the hatch not us.
I personaly think the only thing anyone has to worry about when running hightower
flows or even catless is problems Witt the car, not the police. The only thing that gives it away when the car is catless is that it pops slot more when shifting and slowing down in gear which to smart officers is obvious. But by the time they see and hear your car and we notice them they've already ran your plates and know everything about you so from what I've learned in Cali, clean records get away with anything. Or maybe I just have good luck. That's my 2 cents

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
So If they do happen to check at a checkpoint... Do they just check that a cat is in place?or do they verify the carb number on a database?

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
I'm not too worried about failing smog because the car is PZEV meaning no smog checks for 6 years... Reinstalling the oem cat every 6 years is fine with me.

you dont smog it for that long because its NEW after that its every 2 years

xxmagnusxx

Ready to race!

I don't believe it matters what kind of car it is (ULEV/PZEV). New cars don't have to smog for 6 years. I was referring to after the "probation" period. :)

JhnR

Banned
don't forget to get to the chopper too...

JhnR

Banned
it usually doesn't happen for the cop to crawl under your car...

i had a catless on my mk5 and got pulled over and never had a problem.

and also my APR DP (200 CEL) didn't pass smog...if you're interested..

*reason why i had to SMOG, due to an intake ticket.. ( gotta love Cali).

CHP more likely to pop your hood and give you a intake ticket than CAT

zeonic

mmm.... beer
move up here to WA. the weather sucks but you can pass emissions with a catless dp no problem :thumbup: