GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Calling all Tuners- Electric Steering Tunes

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Can it be done? It is an electronic module and has software controlling it.

Like the B8.5 S4 that has different modes that change the weight and feel of the steering.

I would pay for a flash to make my steering heavier and more responsive. Is it not available because of lack of interest? Liability thing? Etc.

Maybe if we get enough enthusiasts on here wanting it and for a small fee, say $150- $200 one of the big names would work on it.

I see it as similar to port flashing the Haldex on the R.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
The torque steer compensation setting in VCDS definitely has an effect on steering feel....if you turn it to high it becomes really filtered especially if you are familiar with the bumps on the road you drive on...

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
There's a LOT that can be done with tuning power steering systems.

One of the smartest guys I work with came from working on electric power steering systems. For perspective, he started with us ~7 years ago after working on the system for 10 years. So they take a long time to develop. On another note, Porche themselves have noted many times in the GT3 release that the steering feel of the GT3 (in comparison to the standard 991 911) was achieved solely from calibration of the existing system. That's software.

I don't know if that's a similar unit or control to our power steering system but it's certainly possible to tune electric power steering systems like engines or transmissions.

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
Unrelated but since I am curious (and never really bothered to check) - but do our cars not have the typical shaft from the steering wheel to the steering rack? Is it all purely sensor readouts that control servo motors or something along those lines? I can't imagine that would be the case, though, since it is possible to turn the car with the Engine off and the wheels turn as well...

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Unrelated but since I am curious (and never really bothered to check) - but do our cars not have the typical shaft from the steering wheel to the steering rack? Is it all purely sensor readouts that control servo motors or something along those lines? I can't imagine that would be the case, though, since it is possible to turn the car with the Engine off and the wheels turn as well...

Its still connected. The only cars really does steer by wire are some Mercedes and the new Q50. And they still have a mechanical failsafe IIRC.

What EPS is, instead of a hydraulic pump acting on piston which draws power from a powersteering pump connected to the engine, which are mechanical/hydraulic and its assist is based on the demend and its preset valving. EPS has an electric motor(which can be many different type of layout, be it as geared to the steering column, or driving off a worm gear on the steering rack, or a seperate motor driving off a 2nd set of rack and pinion on the steering rack) that are programmed to provide the assist and transmit the feed back to based on the sensor info its receiving. Its still a direct mechanical connection, but because feedback can be variable based on programming, it can have some degree of disconnect if the programming isn't to the user's liking.

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
Its still connected. The only cars really does steer by wire are some Mercedes and the new Q50. And they still have a mechanical failsafe IIRC.

What EPS is, instead of a hydraulic pump acting on piston which draws power from a powersteering pump connected to the engine, which are mechanical/hydraulic and its assist is based on the demend and its preset valving. EPS has an electric motor(which can be many different type of layout, be it as geared to the steering column, or driving off a worm gear on the steering rack, or a seperate motor driving off a 2nd set of rack and pinion on the steering rack) that are programmed to provide the assist and transmit the feed back to based on the sensor info its receiving. Its still a direct mechanical connection, but because feedback can be variable based on programming, it can have some degree of disconnect if the programming isn't to the user's liking.

Gotcha - thanks for the clarification!

It's one thing to have drive-by-wire, but imagine if it was steer-by-wire :lol::lol: