GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much does our A/C system weigh?

Mceric01

Ready to race!
I'm debating whether or not to remove the A/C system in my gti. does anyone know how much it weighs? Is it tough to remove?

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
if you are worried about these 1-2 lbs, then I hope you have already removed your spare seats, spare tire etc else it won't matter at all.

speed

Ready to race!
in before lock!

first off, this sounds like a mockery of the AC when and how..(the heck, how?! Switch! :iono:) lol!

but if the OP is serious then :dnftt:

Mceric01

Ready to race!
Wow real nice guys. I am serious because I heard from someone that an AC system can weigh up to 40lbs. And I like to roll my windows down instead of using the AC. Thanks for the sarcasm!

Baldeagle

Ready to race!
I can appreciate your question. Exotic cars spend thousands of dollars to reduce weight by a few pounds. I suppose the next question would be how much a reduction of 40lbs would improve performance. If it were a 1/10nth of second in a 0-60 time, would that be worth the effort? Could you feel that on the road? For reference, the difference between a full tank of fuel and an empty tank of fuel is about 100 pounds or twice the weight of the A/C system. Does your car feel quicker when the tank is empty?

Here are some other thoughts. Unless you intend to re-install the system when you sell your car, it will destroy the resale value. Also, the A/C system is used in all seasons and not just summer. It works in conjunction with the defroster to un-fog windows.

From a financial perspective, for the money you’d spend to remove and reinstall the system, you could easily go Stage 1 and attain a meaningful boost in performance.

speed

Ready to race!
I can appreciate your question. Exotic cars spend thousands of dollars to reduce weight by a few pounds. I suppose the next question would be how much a reduction of 40lbs would improve performance. If it were a 1/10nth of second in a 0-60 time, would that be worth the effort? Could you feel that on the road? For reference, the difference between a full tank of fuel and an empty tank of fuel is about 100 pounds or twice the weight of the A/C system. Does your car feel quicker when the tank is empty?

Here are some other thoughts. Unless you intend to re-install the system when you sell your car, it will destroy the resale value. Also, the A/C system is used in all seasons and not just summer. It works in conjunction with the defroster to un-fog windows.

From a financial perspective, for the money you’d spend to remove and reinstall the system, you could easily go Stage 1 and attain a meaningful boost in performance.

well, it won't get anywhere in the first place if the tank is empty. kidding, I get what you mean.

but to the OP, if it's weight reduction you're trying to achieve, look into more relevant weight reduction like the rims. a physics guy will explain to you how 10lbs off each rim will be far more relevant than the 40-lb AC.

if you have no plans of reselling or doesn't care about resale value at all, then so be it, if that makes you feel faster.

Blueteam

Ready to race!
I hear the mk7's AC could be electric...

Maybe the op's worried about parasidic drag ?..

In my 2.5 its noticable the 100 pounds makes a diff with a full tank.

I would agree with the general consensus.. the AC is the last thing that would come out of my car.

I'd drive around with my body panels off first...

Mceric01

Ready to race!
I plan on doing lightweight ~18lb wheels for my upcoming summer setup but with the pss tires I'm lookin at $2000ish for that weight savings. I was looking more in the range of free for now. Spare, AC, rear seat delete, 1/4 or 1/2 tank of gas that kind of stuff. If the AC only saves me 5lbs, it's staying in. If its 40 ill think about it.

speed

Ready to race!
I plan on doing lightweight ~18lb wheels for my upcoming summer setup but with the pss tires I'm lookin at $2000ish for that weight savings. I was looking more in the range of free for now. Spare, AC, rear seat delete, 1/4 or 1/2 tank of gas that kind of stuff. If the AC only saves me 5lbs, it's staying in. If its 40 ill think about it.

how about a diet? kidding!

that's some pretty serious weight reduction aims, may I ask, are you planning to use it for track or daily driver only?

what I can suggest is try doing a couple of runs with and without 40lbs of load of whatever and check the difference (driving feel, time) then maybe you can decide for yourself if it's worth it.

scooby103

Passed Driver's Ed
Whenever i see posts like this i wonder about the driver. If he is 200+ lbs, start with a stage 1 weight reduction, more vegetables. Haha.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
AC compressors are heavy, I would say around 10lbs, but not heavy enough to justify taking it out. Start with wheels, spare, jack, seats. You could also put a light weight battery which can easily save 10lbs.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Christ, unless this is a dedicated track car, it's a terrible idea. And turning a brand new, $25k plus car into a dedicated track car is a terrible idea. Enjoy your GTI as the great DD it is and pick up something cheap to use as a track car if you must build one.