GTI vs Mercedes C300

msm00b

Ready to race!
Yeah I know, the goal of both cars are kinda different. Here are the specs:

Engine Type: 3.0L No of Cylinders: 6
Displacement: 2996 cc. No Of Valve: 24
Transmission: Automatic Horsepower: 228 hp
Exterior:

Overall Length: 182.3 in. Overall Height: 56.3 in.
Overall width: 69.7 in. Wheelbase: 108.7 in.
Curb Weight: 3560 lbs.

Price? Starts at 32-35k.

Why am I comparing these two? My '10 GTI went into the shop to fix a manufacturer's defect in one of the windows. The only car they had to loan me from Enterprise was a brand new Mercedes V6 C300 with one of those fancy little driver-directed automatic transmissions.

My impressions:

1. It's slower, despite a bigger engine and more horsepower. I know it's ~300lbs heavier, but I was shocked at the difference. It really doesn't get up and move unless you floor it, and even then it's sluggish and feels like it's working way too hard for relatively poor gains.
2. It takes corners reasonably well, not as firmly planted as the GTI.
3. The inside feels almost artificially nice. Clearly you're paying for the name rather than the quality. On the whole I'd argue that my Autobahn 2010 GTI is nicer on the inside ... my wife said she preferred the GTI's interior 2-3 to 1 over the Benz.
4. Road noise virtually identical.

In the C300's defense, it did have a little more bling on the outside :bellyroll:

The C300: For the driver who lacks the money to buy a real Benz but is so obsessed with labels that he's willing to pay way too much money for way to little car, this one's for you!

For a daily driver the GTI is more economical and arguably as comfortable.
For a fast car the GTI creams the C300.
For a comfortable cruiser, the GTI really isn't that different.
Maybe you could impress more clueless ladies in the Benz? I dunno.

TDI110

O_o
Mercedes has always been for those obsessed with showing off what they wear, and drive in this case.

Back on topic though

Here you can tell tales of the Golf/Rabbit/GTI vs. other types of cars

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
You wouldnt be saying that in their M-Class, GL-Class, and M63 AMG

Since the c-class is almost their entry model, they dumb down the quality and materials used. I've sat in one and you're totally right its just not that good for the name. But spend 100K and get the M63 AMG and its GOLD!

Working at Mercedes in Alabama is always fun when I get to test drive those vehicles.

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
This thread needs a bit moar of this:

EvL BuNNY

Ready to race!
Yeah I know, the goal of both cars are kinda different. Here are the specs:

Price? Starts at 32-35k.

Why am I comparing these two? My '10 GTI went into the shop to fix a manufacturer's defect in one of the windows. The only car they had to loan me from Enterprise was a brand new Mercedes V6 C300 with one of those fancy little driver-directed automatic transmissions.

My impressions:

1. It's slower, despite a bigger engine and more horsepower. I know it's ~300lbs heavier, but I was shocked at the difference. It really doesn't get up and move unless you floor it, and even then it's sluggish and feels like it's working way too hard for relatively poor gains.
2. It takes corners reasonably well, not as firmly planted as the GTI.
3. The inside feels almost artificially nice. Clearly you're paying for the name rather than the quality. On the whole I'd argue that my Autobahn 2010 GTI is nicer on the inside ... my wife said she preferred the GTI's interior 2-3 to 1 over the Benz.
4. Road noise virtually identical.

In the C300's defense, it did have a little more bling on the outside :bellyroll:

The C300: For the driver who lacks the money to buy a real Benz but is so obsessed with labels that he's willing to pay way too much money for way to little car, this one's for you!

For a daily driver the GTI is more economical and arguably as comfortable.
For a fast car the GTI creams the C300.
For a comfortable cruiser, the GTI really isn't that different.
Maybe you could impress more clueless ladies in the Benz? I dunno.

out of curiosity, what was wrong with your window?

my passenger side window has a scratch in it and i KNOW that i didnt do it and its vertical so it cant be from someone walking by and scratching it with something.

its almost as if there was a rock stuck under the flap that grazes the window when you open and close it.

makes me mad every time i notice it

msm00b

Ready to race!
It was a scratch on the passenger side window that was neither on the inside nor on the outside. It was noticed at time of purchase and they were unable to buff it out. Mine was horozontal.

Sounds freakishly similar to your problem.