GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Track Rats Still Active?

AnchorsAweigh

Go Kart Champion
Gosh, for road course I would run at least HP+ , when I first started I tried both and it was night and day. The HP+ warm up quick enough you could use them for autox too. The HPS did not hold up well on road course, ok first session but after that they started to give way. HP+ never faded and I usually get 4-5 session in. HPS is what I run for the street and love them.

Just my experience after 11 years with my car. Still running Hawk HPS all around on my street setup and I drop in the HP Blues up front for track.

That’s exactly my plan for track days. HPS will just be in for DD and AutoX days

AnchorsAweigh

Go Kart Champion
Indy 500s are going to get greasy very quick on track. Speaking from personal experience. Would highly recommend a more aggressive tire. The Indy 500 is a fantastic summer tire for the street and even autocross, but not really good for the track.

Really? I hadn’t seen anyone report greasy issues with them that’s wild. Hmm might have to look around more then. I loved my PSS but didn’t feel like dropping that much this time around.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Really? I hadn’t seen anyone report greasy issues with them that’s wild. Hmm might have to look around more then. I loved my PSS but didn’t feel like dropping that much this time around.
I'd have to agree, indy500 aren't really a track tire. Same with PSS though, I wouldn't expect those to do very well on a track.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I'd have to agree, indy500 aren't really a track tire. Same with PSS though, I wouldn't expect those to do very well on a track.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

^^^ PSS are overrated and overpriced imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion

I think it really all depends on your level on track, and how hard you push the car. While I definitely agree that Indy 500 and PSS are not a good tire for long lapping sessions, you will still get 4-5 decent laps out of them before you have to let them cool down for a couple laps. For a beginner on track, this is nice for a few reasons:

1) you won't be gong 9 or 10/10s during a session
2) slowing down for a intermittent cool down laps forces you to practice point-bys
3) on cool down laps where you're not focused on going fast, you can focus on being smooth and experimenting with the line of the track

I ran PSS for my first 2 track seasons before going with a more aggressive track focused tire. I'm glad I did this because it made me appreciate my current tires. :laugh:

If you were happy with PSS on track in the past, you'd probably be fine with a set of Indy 500. If you felt the PSS weren't quite enough, I'd go with something more aggressive. Just my opinion.

zsm722

Ready to race!
Just ordered my tires for this season. Hankook RS4 in 235/45/17

Getting really hyped to get on track. Aiming for a shakedown day april13 at Autobahn country club.

Those are the tires I am running, I like them because they hold up well in 20 min sessions. I'd rather have a tire that lets me keep running the whole day rather than be the fastest on 1 lap before causing me to slide around everywhere.