GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK5 5sp on my MK5 Golf

alexhatcher

5sp MK6 Golf fluid swap.

Information assumption screwed up my original post.

I have a 0A4 ID code LEA 5 speed manual in my Golf 2.5L

based on some videos, i thought I had a different ID trans in my car.

I replaced the fluid, after getting the LEA directions to properly drain and refill.

I used Valvoline's Synchromesh (GL4) fluid.

I understand that may not be the best fluid to use, so i'll get 2L of something from ECS. a week isn't going to make a difference.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I would always go with the parts specific to your gen car as there may be slight differences. Even if the housing is the same and they bolt up the internals may be different. This is definitely the case for the 5 speed tranny and I believe there are differences between early MK6 and later MK6 as well as they changed the gear ratio. I would imagine the flywheel and clutch would be the same but perhaps not. I always go to ECS and look up the parts and see if they are different between years.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I was about to change the trans fluid on my Manual 5speed, when i noticed the design of the trans was different from videos .

Took a look and saw i have a Mark V trans.

In the future, if I get a new clutch/flywheel done, do i want a clutch kit for a Mark V or a VI transmission?
Good eyes !

The Dealer will give you the correct fluid by VIN number.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Hi, thanks. it wasn't really a fluid question
VW used two types of duel mass flywheels wheels for the MKVI, so if you are retaining the dual mass flywheel, so to ensure compatibility you will have to know which is in your car, the VIN may not tell you this.

If you are going to the cheaper single mass flywheel, based on this info it won't matter MkV or MKVI, see the compatibility list.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I am curious if the differences you are seeing between the trans is related to the issues they were having with the MK5 design related to the fill hole being to low to properly fill the trans while in the car. I am not sure if the trans fluid change is the same for the MK5 and MK6 5 speeds...IE did they fix the issue for which they sent out the service bulletin in 2006 or did they just figure the SB covered it and left the flaw in the MK6’s as well. Try and get a tranny fluid change at a VW. They won't do it. They'll just say it's lifetime.

alexhatcher

Tranny metal stamp is LEA, so in the sticker. I made a bad assumption from VW manual fluid changes due to the videos covering the GTI which shows a 10 or 11mm drain plug.

i got the directions for the MK5, lock the shifter down, remove the indent pin bolt, and removed the pivot pin and 17mm oil drainp plug..

i got 1.5Q out. was pretty dark and with 85,000miles.

I squirted some fresh oil in the fill hole to see if really drained and that ran out as well. Refilled with 1.7 quarts of valvoline Syncromesh through the reverse switch. no longer grinds into Reverse first thing in the morning.

Last edited:

alexhatcher

VW used two types of duel mass flywheels wheels for the MKVI, so if you are retaining the dual mass flywheel, so to ensure compatibility you will have to know which is in your car, the VIN may not tell you this.

If you are going to the cheaper single mass flywheel, based on this info it won't matter MkV or MKVI, see the compatibility list.

Thank you.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Stop Grinding when Shifting into Reverse Gear

Tranny metal stamp is 0A4

i got the directions for the MK5, lock the shifter down, remove the indent pin bolt, and removed the pivot pin and 17mm oil drainp plug..

i got 1.5Q out. was pretty dark and with 85,000miles.

I squirted some fresh oil in the fill hole to see if really drained and that ran out as well. Refilled with 2quarts of Syncromesh through the reverse switch. no longer grinds into Reverse first thing in the morning.
GM Synchromesh fluid with friction modifiers is no good for the VW 5 Speed it causes other wear. Nitroscope was a member of this Forum, he worked for VW; from what I read, he originally championed Synchromesh because the friction modifiers made shifting smooth but pulled his endorsement after seeing the other damage it did to the VW tanny would shorten the life of the tranny.

TIP: In the morning if you make it a habit to shift into 1st gear before engaging Reverse, you will find that your transmission will not grind when it engages reverse. Applies to alot of manual transmissions, and anytime you feel abit of resistance engaging reverse; this is coz car manufacturers do not put Synchros on the reverse gear, only the forward gears. When you engage 1st gear, it stops the shaft rotation, so then Reverse will engage easier or at a lower rotation speed.

Your car your choice

Last edited: