GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel bearings?

Antman1

Passed Driver's Ed
Is there some issue with the wheel bearings? I have a 2013 with 77000. I had to do the back. One was so bad that you could wiggle the tire and I have a weird feeling in the front I have noticed lately that I’m pretty sure is a front wheel bearing. I’m replacing those next weekend. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I’m having a friend that is good with cars helping me. Also while I’m in there replacing those is there anything else I should do while I’m already there. It was December and cold out when I bought the car so I didn’t check it over as well as I normally do. It is a blast to drive and a stage 1 tune is coming soon after I do the coils and finish with all the regular maintenance stuff. Thanks.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Do ball joints, check control arm bushings and sway bar endlinks

I did all my bearing at just 55000 and boy did it make a difference in road noise and ride quality. Highway speed shakes disappeared in my case.

Antman1

Passed Driver's Ed
Perfect that’s got to be it. Already ordered the ball joints. Going to order the other stuff before I do that. Thanks for the reply

riceburner

Autocross Champion
No problem. Mine weren't wobbling but had some soft thuddathuddas on the road.

trekker

Go Kart Newbie
Do ball joints, check control arm bushings and sway bar endlinks

I did all my bearing at just 55000 and boy did it make a difference in road noise and ride quality. Highway speed shakes disappeared in my case.

Great tips man. My brother recently noticed some road noise and speed shake as well on his 2013. We'll work on it right after we finished installing the new rack and tonneau covers on his truck for kayak mounts. Gonna show me that list and have them ordered.

mattyice703

QQ, just ordered a new front wheel bearing and it came in over the weekend, yay! I was going to install it buuuuuuut I am slightly reticent to do all the work because I cannot for the life of me spin this bad boy by hand. Is it just a case of it being grease packed and it will loosen up once it gets a little heat in it or should I request a replacement? I would hate to tear the front end apart just to have to do it again. Anyone have experience with the front wheel bearing on a MKVI?