GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement CheckList

doofus

Passed Driver's Ed
WHT91000101 - o-ring for inner cam bridge seal
06H103483D - gasket for cam adjuster solenoid on upper timing cover

Cheap to replace while you're at it and both known for leaking oil sometimes.

Added :

WHT007212B - 1 - $1.65 - O-ring cam bridge seal
06H103483D - 1 - $6.60 - Timing cover seal

:thumbup:

doofus

Passed Driver's Ed
How much is your shop charging you btw? If youre on the NorCal VW page theres a guy does a lot of members work ex vw tech and hes done a bunch members timing chain tensionrs for very cheap. And hes super fast.

Quoted 900. How much is he charging. I'm sure this guy knows his stuff, but in case something went wrong......?

doofus

Passed Driver's Ed
Pretty sure, he said "no shop including mine will warranty anything since we are not supplying parts"

My shop says :

"We will warranty our parts but are not able to warranty any parts provided by customer. We will always warranty our install, if anything goes wrong, we will cover it. But if a part fails that a customer provides, it is up to customer to get the part replaced and would have to cover the labor charges."

I'm only using VW OEM parts so guess I'm ok?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
It's a liability thing honestly. I dealt with shop fraud when I was an insurance adjuster a while back and had an interesting case where a customer brought parts to the shop for work with damaged parts that looked new but would absolutely fail intentionally. The customer got the car back, parts failed as they were intended to do and then they tried to get the shops insurance company (me) to pay for a new car claiming shop neglect.