GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 drivers, does your car jerk horribly during high boost upshifts?

JSwag420

Ready to race!
Ever since going from stock to a Statified Tune and intake, if I go from a light to a medium high throttle quickly, the car throws myself and my passengers forward in the seat horribly during upshifts. It almost feels like the car loses all power for a split second during the upshift. It's nearly enough to make the seatbelt lock as it throws you forward so hard. Keep in mind this is a DSG. Under normal driving conditions in drive, this doesn't happen. It's only when the car suddenly produces a high amount of boost. If I detune the car and go back to the "stock tune", I can even go WOT and it's smooth as butter.

My only thought is that the car isn't producing enough boost during D mode upshifts although it does appear to shift at 4kish RPMs under medium heavy throttle. Peak boost also sits around 21 PSI. Would this cause these issues with the car? Would a DSG tune fix this issue? I just feel like the Stratified Tune shouldn't be this undrivable in drive mode while people with APR and without TCU tunes report their car still driving perfectly smooth during heavy boost upshifts. If I drive in manual mode or sport mode, the upshift jerk isn't as bad as it is in drive, but you still feel it.

The best way to explain when I experience this issue is when you're accelerating normally in D, get on the gas, hit that point where the turbo suddenly kicks in because of the throttle positon, hesitates a second, turbo starts going, then it just launches. That's usually when the unbearable jerks occur. When it happens accidentally, my passengers ask me "wtf" as if my car is broken.

Any insight is appreciated. Anybody else experience this?

Last edited:

speeding_ant

Go Kart Newbie
I had terrible shifting issues with the Stratified tune. Went back to OTS Cobb tune and it was fine. I've decided I'm happy with OTS performance so left it there.

cchase__

Ready to race!
I have this problem with stratified as well. It goes into the redline and doesn't shift at all then jerks the car. For me, I'm thinking It's the rev limit increase. Did you opt for the rev increase?

JSwag420

Ready to race!
I have this problem with stratified as well. It goes into the redline and doesn't shift at all then jerks the car. For me, I'm thinking It's the rev limit increase. Did you opt for the rev increase?

My issue occurs only when it shifts at low RPMs when producing high boost. Guessing the DSG tune would fix it.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
My DSG used have jerky shifts both stage 1 and stage 2 w/ Eurodyne when I shifted early under high load/boost. I just tried not to do that lol. DSG tune seemed to help smooth out shifts all around though.

JSwag420

Ready to race!
Yes. DSG. Car has been tuned with Stratefied for 10 months.

hmmmm. So your upshifts are still smooth as butter even under hard throttle in automatic drive mode? Do you have an intake? I'm wondering if my car is just producing too much boost.

JSwag420

Ready to race!
My DSG used have jerky shifts both stage 1 and stage 2 w/ Eurodyne when I shifted early under high load/boost. I just tried not to do that lol. DSG tune seemed to help smooth out shifts all around though.

Gotcha, hoping that'll solve it. Always sucks when I forget and give it hard throttle only to be thrown forward when the car is producing boost.