GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG slippage gone bad! Replaced the whole DSG unit!

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
Hello everyone,

Few members (whoever follows my build thread) here know about my DSG issue since I went K04. Basically the clutches slip under full load and it's really obvious. After reading few positive feedbacks regarding DSG tunes and how it could eliminate the slippage, I decided to try it my self. So, early in 2013 I tuned my DSG to Stage 2 and didn't see any immediate improvement on the slippage. All other features described by the tuner was there, I cannot deny that. So, after just few weeks from the tune, my DSG started jerking quite a lot and there's quite a noticeable delay in shifting when I'm on manual mode. Then, it all went wrong and my mechatronic died! So I towed my car to the dealer and had it there for 2 weeks waiting for a new mechatronic and a set of clutches. So, I took the car and faced the slippage again after few weeks but I had to live with it.

Just recently, I thought of tuning the DSG again, hoping to see improvement again, somehow! Slippage was the same. DSG went from bad to worse! I wish I didn't tune again as the same thing happened. The DSG is very aggressive and there's a long delay combined with strange and loud noises in the DSG. Not only that, you can hear the clutches slap aggressively and car doesn't move at all until you rev it a little bit. So, I took the car to the dealer again. They found a big amount of grinder metal inside the DSG plus the flywheel was terribly worn! Resulted in replacing the DSG, flywheel and the mechatronic unit

So now, I'm got a new DSG unit after a long 40 days wait without my GTI. Obviously, its not cheap at all. I don't know if this is all caused from the tune, or something had to go wrong anyway!

Last edited:

chinoyboi14

Ready to race!
I'm confused...did you have the DSG replaced twice? I'm assuming you meant you took it back after the first two weeks and just dealt wit it until it died and then you finally had it replaced...?

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
I'm confused...did you have the DSG replaced twice? I'm assuming you meant you took it back after the first two weeks and just dealt wit it until it died and then you finally had it replaced...?

The first time I got the mechatronic and clutches replaced. That was last year. The second time which is now, I got the whole DSG replaced.

jshay

Go Kart Champion
Did you flash it back to stock DSG tune each time you brought it in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Sucks. Confused as to why you didn't take it in before tuning it. You went from having a slight chance of warranty coverage to zero chance. If your still within warranty period obviously.

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
Stage 2 tunes from generic tunersdont do shit for slippage. You need stage 3. DM tune fixed my slippage.

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
Ah ok. What a nightmare it must've been. Did you get the car back? How's it running?

Car runs better but still shifts weirdly from 5th to 6th. I'm not sure what is it exactly!!

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
Did you flash it back to stock DSG tune each time you brought it in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No for the first time but yes for the second.

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
Sucks. Confused as to why you didn't take it in before tuning it. You went from having a slight chance of warranty coverage to zero chance. If your still within warranty period obviously.

Luckily, I managed to work something out to minimise the cost. The car has one more month under warranty.

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
get the tune before waiting for it to slip.

Stage 2 tunes from generic tunersdont do shit for slippage. You need stage 3. DM tune fixed my slippage.

To be honest, I don't think that I'll touch the dsg again! And if I ever tune it again, it'll be after upgrading the clutches.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
doesn't the tune increase the clamping pressure? that's the whole point. i could have sworn we had this discussion before because you were complaining about it slipping and everyone said you should have gotten it tuned for a k04.