GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel damaged after tires mounted

ShadowBlueGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
I took my car to what I thought was a reputable shop in my area to have four Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position tires mounted/balanced and have an alignment done. When I picked up the car I notice the shop put a nice gouge through the clear coat of one of my Detroit wheels and scratched up the other three. The shop manager offered to have a local wheel repair shop machine the face and repaint the wheel with the gouge at their expense. Has anyone else had a similar situation and what can be done in the future to insure this won't happen to me again?

dead_catz

Ready to race!
I had a chip and they offered to make it right at discount tire but never proceeded with the minor repair. The problem is you have a bunch of mostly uneducated kids or adults throwing tires on wheels, if the damage is that extensive I would never go back to that shop even if they do fix them up like new

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
Yup, had it happen at a Firestone dealer to my Raves on my New Beetle. They offered no recourse, so I'll never darken their doors again. Butchers!

Locke

Ready to race!
Had the same thing happen to my Serrons. The shop admitted fault and they paid to have all four damaged wheels machine finished- same method you're referencing. The wheels came back looking good as new, and I then asked for only their senior tech to perform the tire mounting and balancing. People have recommended doing a walk around with a supervisor to show that you have no wheel damage before installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShadowBlueGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
The shop that damaged my wheels is only going to pay to have one of the wheels refinished. What are the chances the wheel repair shop is able to match the color of the original wheels?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I worried about something like this when I was getting my neuspeeds mounted. All I can say is never go to a place like firestone, rick johnson, jiffy lube, etc. There are exceptions I guess, but I wouldn't take that risk.

I ended up getting my tires mounted at a place that primarily works on porsches, and the price was really reasonable. I got my tires mounted & balanced, and an alignment for like $220. They also installed the rear sway bar I brought in for free. Their work was perfect and I couldn't find a single ding or scratch on my wheels.

SuperSkyline891

Passed Driver's Ed
I always make sure anyone that's going to mount tires on my wheels has a machine with the plastic tool on it. Aside from that I take my car to shops that do work on high end cars so they're used to working with expensive hardware, they'll be less likely to screw up and more likely to make it right if they do.

ShadowBlueGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
I worried about something like this when I was getting my neuspeeds mounted. All I can say is never go to a place like firestone, rick johnson, jiffy lube, etc. There are exceptions I guess, but I wouldn't take that risk.

I ended up getting my tires mounted at a place that primarily works on porsches, and the price was really reasonable. I got my tires mounted & balanced, and an alignment for like $220. They also installed the rear sway bar I brought in for free. Their work was perfect and I couldn't find a single ding or scratch on my wheels.

I actually took my car to a shop that specializes in Porsche and BMW vehicles. They came recommended by alot of the Porsche club of America guys in my area. I was thinking about buying Neuspeed RSe52's or RSe07's wheels but decided to wait until the spring.

NorthVan1

Ready to race!
Mistakes happen all the time, how one business deals with the issue separates them from the next one.

Let them fix it, it will be fine.

zipsled

Ready to race!
A good wheel repair outfit should make them look like new. Just bought a used Honda with a nice curb scrub on one wheel...the guy they used did such a good job you could never tell it had been damaged.

corydd

Go Kart Champion
This shouldn't happen, but sometimes it does. The fact that the shop is offering to repair the wheel at no cost to you is really the best case scenario. Count yourself lucky - this happens to a lot of people and the shop refuses to take the blame or offer any kind of compensation.

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
Mistakes happen all the time, how one business deals with the issue separates them from the next one.

Let them fix it, it will be fine.

This 100%

Shit happens - it's how they clean up the shit that counts.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I actually took my car to a shop that specializes in Porsche and BMW vehicles. They came recommended by alot of the Porsche club of America guys in my area. I was thinking about buying Neuspeed RSe52's or RSe07's wheels but decided to wait until the spring.

I gotcha...That's pretty damn disappointing.

MaxAlexand

This shouldn't happen, but sometimes it does. The fact that the shop is offering to repair the wheel at no cost to you is really the best case scenario. Count yourself lucky - this happens to a lot of people and the shop refuses to take the blame or offer any kind of compensation.

This happened to me at the VW dealer I bought the car from at the second oil change. Looked like they used a chisel to remove inner wheel weights. Took pics and called the dealer within an hour, refused to offer anything.