GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trigger Wire Install From Hell

ilovebrunch

Ready to race!
ilovebrunch, are you close to downtown? The last time I was up there, probably 2 years ago, I saw a local 20120 Candy White GTI with either VW Glendales or Karthoums wheels parked steetside. Are you familiar with this guy?

lighting 2.0 sounds tight. Remember, don't puff before you play with wiring. Shit gets rough and takes twice as long. lol. Good luck this weekend. If I wasn't pegged down by the gf, it would have been a good day trip.

Haha, yeah the installs should go fairly quick. It's all pretty much plug and play. Right now the only white one I know of is a R that a co-worker just picked up. But prior to a few weeks ago I was more into jdm rides. Don't worry mine were all clean and not riced out :)

CRSmooth

Passed Driver's Ed
Haha, yeah the installs should go fairly quick. It's all pretty much plug and play. Right now the only white one I know of is a R that a co-worker just picked up. But prior to a few weeks ago I was more into jdm rides. Don't worry mine were all clean and not riced out :)

Sounds like the VW changed your live. Glad to hear!

CRSmooth

Passed Driver's Ed
So it looks like all my problems are solved. Managed to pop open the clip and and make a firm connection. The LED city lights are looking fresh finally. Thanks for all the help guys!

ilovebrunch

Ready to race!
Congrats man! And if you ever want to day trip up here just give me a few days notice.

slcgtimk6

Passed Driver's Ed
help!

Hey CRSmooth or tamz273. I'm trying to find the flap to insert the trigger wire into my euro switch and really struggeling. Not sure why cause everything else was easy for me. What side is the flap on? I'm trying to use a flat head in a few different areas to pry something open but feel like I'm going to break something. Any help or pics would be greatly appreciated!

eduardot

Ready to race!
Hey CRSmooth or tamz273. I'm trying to find the flap to insert the trigger wire into my euro switch and really struggeling. Not sure why cause everything else was easy for me. What side is the flap on? I'm trying to use a flat head in a few different areas to pry something open but feel like I'm going to break something. Any help or pics would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a pic of the flap:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...(MkVI-GTi)&p=66149594&viewfull=1#post66149594

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Or here.
One on both sides

slcgtimk6

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys. Super helpful. That's why I love this forum so much. I got it and everything works great!

abraxas

Passed Driver's Ed
I just did this install today and wanted to chime in with a couple takeaways that I learned the hard way:

USP Motorsports has a little video walkthrough that I found helpful in addition to the pictorial guides I found on the forums here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIe7PMVcyMg

Worth a watch, but I did notice one thing: when the dude pops the headlight switch connector open I think he actually breaks the clip--it should *not* slide out like that (right around 3:30 in the video). It should simply hinge upward like in the picture a couple posts above.

I used a dash pry tool exactly like the one in the video, but I realize now that it's too thick given the tiny size and fragility of the clip, and I ended up cracking the left side where I levered it up. That plastic is *super* thin. Luckily it was still largely intact and snapped back in place after I inserted the wire so I think it will hold OK. Just be *really* careful when prying that little fella open.

Afterward, I read in another thread here somewhere to use a super small flathead screwdriver--like one from an eyeglass repair kit. In retrospect I think that would probably be the best approach. Even using the smallest plastic pry tool I had, it was still too thick to do the job right.

Hope this might be of help to anyone with this install in the future.