GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another cobalt vs gti vid

fastgti69

M3 Eater
My buddy Nate has an '09 LNF that saw 425lb/ft at the wheels with just an intake/charge pipes/DP/tune.

Pretty stout cars.

That must be one happy dyno! I'm hitting 435 wtq and that's with a big turbo haha.

vahdyx

Ready to race!
I get ya about the refinement bit. I know with a GTI I won't be the fastest at the meet or on the track. But you know what? I'll be comfortable, swathed in technology and style. K04 is still faster than 99.8% of assholes on the highway. Noise -> air :D

butchered by autocorrect

And that's kind of what is on my mind.

That must be one happy dyno! I'm hitting 435 wtq and that's with a big turbo haha.

I actually hit 425ft/lbs on stock K04 with a crappy tune. CCSS3 :thumbdown: back in the day. Car drove like crap! Knock retard galore, but had a lot of torque on a AWD superflow dyno. It could be happy dyno but on my YouTube channel with just a tune I hit 370ish

fastgti69

M3 Eater
And that's kind of what is on my mind.

I actually hit 425ft/lbs on stock K04 with a crappy tune. CCSS3 :thumbdown: back in the day. Car drove like crap! Knock retard galore, but had a lot of torque on a AWD superflow dyno. It could be happy dyno but on my YouTube channel with just a tune I hit 370ish

I remember you had crazy high torque readings. Really that bad with James? I don't have any KR and my tune with him is pretty smooth. Who are you tuned with right now? Term2?

TrogdorsWraith

Ready to race!
Vahd if your ever down in the Springs I'd roll against you. I'm only K04 so I'm going to get smoked. But it would give you an idea of what to expect if you do trade/ a few thousand "read 5 minimum" in upgrades.

vahdyx

Ready to race!
Yeah Term2, I honestly think James isn't a very good high altitude 91 octane tuner. He had me at .81 lambda at WOT.
He's a good guy, it's just 30+ datalogs and still couldn't get the tune right was all I could bare. Needless to say my experience was bad.

vahdyx

Ready to race!
Vahd if your ever down in the Springs I'd roll against you. I'm only K04 so I'm going to get smoked. But it would give you an idea of what to expect if you do trade/ a few thousand "read 5 minimum" in upgrades.

Yeah dude, I'd love to check it out too, but don't worry man my launch is pathetic. You will probably kill me from a dig. I can't stop the wheel spin :bonk:

P.S. my grandparents live in the springs, I can easily make a trip if needed :)

Last edited:

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
In addition to that I want an automatic with 4 doors with some pep, refinement and quality. The GTI to me is extremely sexy inside and out. I like the tuning vs the Cobalts (I hate data logging, it's how I got my tickets in my car). Hatchback versatility and its just freakin sexy! With my car sold (if I get what I think I will) my payment will be laughable. I'd have it paid off in a year or so and when that day comes the resale value will help for future endeavors.

I have a buddy with a bolt-on SSTC with meth and his only complaint is the constant need to datalog and send the files to his tuner for it to be tweaked. I've considered switching to Eurodyne so I have the ability to tweak things, but at the same time, why bother just to make an extra 5whp in some cases?

As far as the market and resale value taking a turn for the worse, so is the GTI market. The price and sales of used GTIs plummeted pretty bad a few months back. I've considered selling my car for something else, but at this point it has already lost so much value (and I purchased as a CPO) that it really makes no sense financially. I say hold on to the car until you're done school or are really feeling the itch for something "better".

fastgti69

M3 Eater
Yeah Term2, I honestly think James isn't a very good high altitude 91 octane tuner. He had me at .81 lambda at WOT.
He's a good guy, it's just 30+ datalogs and still couldn't get the tune right was all I could bare. Needless to say my experience was bad.

Wow thirty logs lol im only at like 8. I need to log some more though for winter blend been too lazy lately. I remember reading your thread about switchimg tuners caise of the high altitide. Must be a pain.

vahdyx

Ready to race!
I have a buddy with a bolt-on SSTC with meth and his only complaint is the constant need to datalog and send the files to his tuner for it to be tweaked. I've considered switching to Eurodyne so I have the ability to tweak things, but at the same time, why bother just to make an extra 5whp in some cases?

As far as the market and resale value taking a turn for the worse, so is the GTI market. The price and sales of used GTIs plummeted pretty bad a few months back. I've considered selling my car for something else, but at this point it has already lost so much value (and I purchased as a CPO) that it really makes no sense financially. I say hold on to the car until you're done school or are really feeling the itch for something "better".

I agree with your buddy, datalogging is a pain IMO. The SS unfortunately doesn't have a good company like APR or similar to provide a good load and go tune. All the load and go tunes are bad and provide little improvement.

Like I said I'm conflicted. I want a GTI (the itch) and I feel like keeping the SS. I need to go forward its just I don't know which direction to take.