GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 10-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #15
Wascally Wabbit
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: Rabbit Diesel/TDI/2.5L
I live with 30 minutes of 6 VW dealerships and have done business with them all over the years and they are all terrible. It's hard to tell if they're incompetent or trying to rip you off. Sadly I think it's a little of both.
Wascally Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:31 PM   #16
Logan176
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2012 GTI
Parking Brake Update

Okay... I'm starting to get frustrated.

When I replaced the rear rotors and pads at the end of October, the parking brake seemed to be working almost like new. So, I thought maybe the handle previously had too much play because the piston in each caliper was extended too far.

But during the past month, the problem got progressively worse to the point where the parking brake handle has 2 inches of play (1 click). I can actually get the parking brake indicator on the dash to light up before I feel any resistance in the handle. I can still get the brake to engage, but the handle has to be pulled up 12 clicks.

I bought new springs from ECS (the guy on the phone was really helpful) and had a local shop install them because it is way too damn cold to get under the car right now without a garage. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem. I also tried adjusting the parking brake by pressing the pedal down all the way, pressing the button on the e-brake handle, and pulling up on the handle 2-3 times. No change.

Can you guys think of what else could be causing this problem? I just find it weird that after replacing the pads and rotors that everything was fine for a while. Is it possible that the small arm where the cable and spring attach is gunked up? I'd rather not have to replace the caliper if I don't need to.

Last edited by Logan176; 01-19-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Logan176 is offline   Reply With Quote