GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TPMS retrofit on 2011 Detroit Wheels

Redcoat

Passed Driver's Ed
Quick question: I have a 2010 GTI that formally had the 17" Denver alloys with TPMS. However, I have recently been given a set of 18" Detroit alloys and tires from a 2011 GTI.

After making the swap, of course the TPMS light came on. I though that a reflash was just needed. However, it turns out that the 2010 & 2011 model GTI's have different TPMS systems and cannot be retrofitted between one or the other. 2011 GTI's have a 'speed & weight dependent' TPMS system.

I had the technician disable the TPMS system in my car through VAG so that I don't have the annoying light on the dash, but I'd really like to keep the TPMS engaged.

Other than sourcing a set of 18" Detroits from a 2010 GTI, is there any other way of keeping the system with the current wheel setup?

Thanks in advance.

joetron

Passed Driver's Ed
my guess is not since 2011's, to my understanding, us an abs wheel sensor. I'm not sure if 2010's would have the wiring to retrofit those sensors. :iono:

Redcoat

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the reply. Does anyone think the installation of aftermarket TPM's and the reactivation of the system be my only option?

dmichael

Ready to race!
2010 GTI TPMS has sensors mounted behind the valve stems, you will notice the stems are metal. 2011 uses the abs system to monitor changes in tire circumference and this type of TPMS does not have sensors, so valve stems are traditional rubber. The best practice would be to revert your VAG programming back to original and breakdown all 4 wheels and install TPMS sensors/valve stems, thats the only way to retain TPMS on a 2010.

Redcoat

Passed Driver's Ed
Bummer. Can't have my cake and eat it too... Thanks for the advice dmichael. It's a small price to pay considering the wheels and tires were free, I guess.