GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What can cause a rear wheel bearing to fail?

///Audience

Ready to race!
A while back i slipped my car on some ice and hit a shoulder sideways. The result was both my passenger side wheels were bent under.

Fast forward a month and my car is out of the shop with new upper and lower control arms, brakes, wheel hubs, and quite a bit of other stuff. Since getting my car out of the shop, I have gone through 3 rear wheel bearings. I noticed the issue when I picked up the vehicle and had tremendous amounts of what I thought was tire noise (I replaced the tires at the time of the repairs). The shop diagnosed the issue as a faulty wheel bearing and replaced the entire hub. This one lasted all of 2 days until the noise was back. The shop replaced it and could not explain what would cause it to fail. This one lasted all of 1 day. The current wheel bearing is not making the same loud drone sound like the last 2 but rather a loud popping and scrapping sound when driving over 5mph. I was able to jack the vehicle up and spin the wheel and recreate the noise at the wheel bearing. Unfortunately i was forced to drive the vehicle in this condition and after a few minutes at highway speed the popping stopped completely. When I got home, i noticed a bit of liquid on the wheel in question which i can only assume is brake fluid.

The shop assures me that the alignment was flawless and there is zero cause for these repeated failures.

Any suggestions?

*quick recap*
-Car was wrecked
-Wheel bearings last 1-2 days
-Currently on the 3rd one
-wtf is going on?

GoliathRage

Go Kart Champion
A while back i slipped my car on some ice and hit a shoulder sideways. The result was both my passenger side wheels were bent under.

Fast forward a month and my car is out of the shop with new upper and lower control arms, brakes, wheel hubs, and quite a bit of other stuff. Since getting my car out of the shop, I have gone through 3 rear wheel bearings. I noticed the issue when I picked up the vehicle and had tremendous amounts of what I thought was tire noise (I replaced the tires at the time of the repairs). The shop diagnosed the issue as a faulty wheel bearing and replaced the entire hub. This one lasted all of 2 days until the noise was back. The shop replaced it and could not explain what would cause it to fail. This one lasted all of 1 day. The current wheel bearing is not making the same loud drone sound like the last 2 but rather a loud popping and scrapping sound when driving over 5mph. I was able to jack the vehicle up and spin the wheel and recreate the noise at the wheel bearing. Unfortunately i was forced to drive the vehicle in this condition and after a few minutes at highway speed the popping stopped completely. When I got home, i noticed a bit of liquid on the wheel in question which i can only assume is brake fluid.

The shop assures me that the alignment was flawless and there is zero cause for these repeated failures.

Any suggestions?

*quick recap*

-Car was wrecked

-Wheel bearings last 1-2 days

-Currently on the 3rd one

-wtf is going on?

I had the EXACT issue you are having. What brand wheel bearings are they using? I had a vaico wheel bearing that only lasted 2 weeks and then replaced it with a fag wheel bearing. Ive had the fag wheel bearing for 6 months now and it has no issues.

The problem could be is that they are not tightening the wheel bearing housing bolt tight enough. It is supposed to be torqued to 148 ft/lb plus a 180 degree turn and that requires a lot of force. If they are not torquing it enough, water and dust are going to get inside the bearing and cause premature wear which leads to failure.

Merkle

Banned
As said before. Improperly torquing down the bolt, probably someone using an impact putting it on way too tight.

///Audience

Ready to race!
Not quite sure on the brand. They are getting them direct from the VW dealership. Considering they are paying for these out of pocket, I would think they would read the damn instructions first.