GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Track day wheel/tire sizing

reezi

I'm getting addicted to track days and I'm looking to replace my OEM rims with some lighter ones. After scouring the forums I am not exactly sure what size wheels and tires I should purchase.

I am leaning towards 17x8" rims with 245/40/17 tires. I am running stock suspension, SS lines, RBF600 fluid and the StopTech street performance pads. Would I run into any problems with that wheel setup?

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I am running that size wheel and tire on stock suspension, for DDing, AutoX and occasional track day...no problem at all....

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
smart choice, OP.

reezi

Thanks, guys. I'm going to go with the Enkei PF01 and Hankook RS3. I plan on limiting this wheel use to track days only to increase tire life, reverting back to the Detroits for daily driving. Those things are tanks.

What tire PSI do you most of you run on this setup for road course track days?

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
17lb actually, i think PF01s weigh a bit more than RPF1...
For the PSS last time I ran 35/33 cold that got up to 40/38 after 20 min session.

whptgud

My favs are the RPF1s as I have two miatas that I track. However, I believe an eight inch wheel will provide much more sidewall support than the 7.5 RPF1. I went with the TRMotorsports 17x8 wheel and couldn't be happier...

Kai

tire pressures for track day

For the PSS last time I ran 35/33 cold that got up to 40/38 after 20 min session.
I'm running my first track day in the 2009 GTi Monday and I have the same question about tire pressures on a road course - what is the best tire pressure to start with, "cold"? (It's going to be hot as hell, about 90F ambient). I bought the car a few months ago and it has Dunlop SP Sport 01 AS 245/40 R18's on it, which I see from looking around online are super crappy tires. Great! :( They've been totally fine so far, so fingers crossed.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited:

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
Start at what the manufacture recommends (I think its 38PSI) for our cars.

Adjust from there. If it is your first day out don't worry about over heating tires. Just check them when you come in and make sure there still around 38 PSI.