GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installed South Bend Stage 2 daily clutch, low rpm rattle

ChancreScolex

Ready to race!
Just had my dad install my South Bend stage 2 daily clutch today and there is now a really loud rattle when accelerating at low RPMs. He's stumped on what it could be. He was meticulous in making sure everything was tightened as he put the car back together and I even ordered the full bolt kit to make sure everything that was put back was new since they are mostly torque to yield.

Any thoughts on what it could be? I'll try to provide more info as needed

Gino

Ready to race!
Single Mass Flywheels will chatter. Could that be it?

MRMAFFIOSO

Is it when the clutch is engaged? Or just pressing the throttle ? You'll get chatter, once it is broken in it will quiet up a little. Maybe post a vid of acceleration if your able to give us a better idea ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JS12

Ready to race!
I had a similar rattle after having my Sachs SRE clutch and SMF installed. It took about 1000 miles for it to go away but I don't hear it at all anymore. During those miles, I installed a Fluidampr and 034 street trans/motor mounts. The mounts seemed to quiet the clutch more than the pulley and they are still breaking in.

Assuming there are no other issues, I'd just give it some time to break in. I've heard using a heavier trans fluid can help quiet things down but I haven't tried that yet.

EuroMk6

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine does the same thing. I'm a little over 1000 miles and still chatters from time to time. More noticeable with the a/c on

TakmaN

Ready to race!
Sounds like clutch chatter. Going from dual-mass to single-mass will cause this. Does it kind of sound like a cement mixer or a bunch of rocks bouncing around a metal bin?

ChancreScolex

Ready to race!
Is it when the clutch is engaged? Or just pressing the throttle ? You'll get chatter, once it is broken in it will quiet up a little. Maybe post a vid of acceleration if your able to give us a better idea ?

It happens when the clutch is engaged and I am accelerating from low RPMs. If I shift at higher RPMs it doesn't seem as noticeable. I'll try to get a video up this week.

Sounds like clutch chatter. Going from dual-mass to single-mass will cause this. Does it kind of sound like a cement mixer or a bunch of rocks bouncing around a metal bin?

The chatter is more noticeable, but I don't think that's what this is. It's sort of a high-pitched metallic rattle.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Timing chain tensioner?

ChancreScolex

Ready to race!
Timing chain tensioner?

I really hope not. Already had mine replaced once under warranty but they couldn't tell me if they used the revised/updated part. I've only heard the timing chain tensioner rattle at startup anyway.

I have the same clutch. Mine does that as well and it's completely normal. Also clutch chatter at idle is a fun one to explain to others standing next to your car saying something is wrong with your car... Just say, "because race car." Also you may notice at times when you engage the clutch it may sound like a metallic version of a dislocated bone sucking back into socket. I forgot the name of this... But if you here that as well don't be alarmed.

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
I've had a non "silent" version sb clutch for about 60k now, and it's sounded like a dump truck since the day it went in