GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R Downpipe Install Notes

Boobslappy

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally finished my 42dd install on the R (cat, no res) and I wanted to add my thoughts:
First off thanks for THIS THREAD.
-The top inner flange bolt was actually the easiest for me because I had room to get a very large ratchet in there to break the bolt loose. You just need a couple long extensions and feel for the nut.
-Turbo flange bolts are 17mm on the R
-Buy a ratcheting gear/box wrench BUY IT!!!!
-Do your top work before you jack and try to get the top O2 sensor and top 2 flange bolts out straight away
-I was able to remove the front portion of the drive shaft and center support and then move the drive shaft to the passenger side of the tunnel to pull out the stock down pipe. This is a requirement on the R and you need a 10MM 12 POINT Socket for the 3 drive shaft bolts
-put in the down pipe and secure it loosely to the turbo THEN tighten your drive shaft back up (you can align the holes by turning the driver side wheel by hand)

Most of this info is scattered around various threads but just wanted to reinforce some info for the newbies like me doing this and save you some hours.

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Thanks! I'll be doing this very soon!

tamz273

Ready to race!
Couldnt have explained it better..! Only thing Id add is in order to move the center shaft, you undo the 3 12-point bolts then push the shaft back towards the rear of the car. You will hear a hydraulic compression and the shaft will move back about an inch, letting loose of the stud that holds it in place. Only then should you move it off to the passengers side.. NOT before you move it backwards. Theres a nipple/stud that holds the shaft in place for alignment..

Heretic:GTI

Ready to race!
Mine was a pain in the ass. If I ever put the stock downpipe on again, I'm just dropping the whole driveshaft. Which I should have done to begin with...

tamz273

Ready to race!
Naah.. You dont need to drop the whole thing.. Did you undo the bracket in the middle of the shaft? Its the one thats hidden by the shielding..

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
You forgot ALL the torque specs.

I have a post on vortex with them

Heretic:GTI

Ready to race!
Naah.. You dont need to drop the whole thing.. Did you undo the bracket in the middle of the shaft? Its the one thats hidden by the shielding..

Lol, yes I dropped the carrier bolts. I've got a lift at work. It's not impossible to do with the driveshaft in there, but pulling the couple bolts on the rear of the driveshaft would have been easier than maneuvering the oem downpipe out from around the shaft. Being one long ass pipe doesn't make it easy to move around yourself. The apr pipe in comparison was a simple procedure since its in sections...

Pseudo Nim

Ready to race!
So did anyone ever write up a DIY for this, or is it like, "omg I can't believe I'm done"? :) I am going to be doing this in a few weeks ... would be helpful to bring a manual to the shop methinks.

Boobslappy

Passed Driver's Ed

Boobslappy

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes with additional changes I posted in the original thread.

pdxa4

Longtime VW/Audi owner
Nice...

chad1230

Ready to race!
Just installed my APR downpipe this past weekend....DEFINITELY buy a 17mm ratcheting wrench. It makes the job so much easier. Also, taking out the dogbone mount bolt allows you to push the engine towards the front, which helps with removing the driveshaft from the giubo. I would also buy a new exhaust clamp (Part Number 1K0253141H). The bolts were so corroded on mine that I had to use an angle grinder to cut the bolts off. I reused the sleeve portion and just bought new exhaust clamps at Autozone.

Last edited: